Re: Simplified MUM

  • tykjaw
    Message 1 of 77 , Apr 7 5:45 PM

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > 20 liters is of course 5 gallons, not 4 :)
      > > >
      > > > Cheers, Riku
      > > >
      > > snip
      > >
      > > Hi, Riku and all.
      > >
      > > In America, yes, more or less.
      > >
      > > In Australia (also in Britain and some other countries) the four
      > > gallons is not too far out.
      > >
      > > (from Wikipedia:
      > >
      > > 1 liquid U.S. gallon = 3.785 411 784 litres ¡Ö 0.833 Imperial
      > gallon
      > > 1 Imperial gallon = 4.546 09 litres ¡Ö 1.201 liquid U.S. gallons )
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > The Baker
      > >

      > This is exactly the reason why we should consider using metric stuff,
      > i.e. liters and kgs. They are the same everywhere and we DO have
      > readers around the world.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku

      Well said Riku and can we please abolish the 'cup' measure
    • bordermeister
      Message 77 of 77 , Jun 23, 2009
        Hi guys,
        I was about to put on a couple of MUM washes and was after some feedback as to how this wash turned out.

        I like the sound of leaving out the plant food...

        Any feedback on fermentation, clearing, taste etc....

        Many Thanks
        Mark

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

        Posted this to new_distiller but I think the discussion really belongs
        to this forum:

        > Mason, based on my latest sour mash experiments I think we could
        > simplify the MUM a bit:
        >
        > 25 liters total volume
        > pH 6 water, add 10 grams of citric acid to pH 7 water or squeeze one
        > lemon
        > 5kg sugar
        > 1kg of gelatinized (rolled/boiled) grains - the type you use for
        > porridge
        > 1-2 packets baker's yeast
        >
        > Comments, or is this RUM (Riku's Universal Mash) now ;)
        >
        > Slainte, Riku

        <SNIP>

        Rolled oats it will be. Quaker oats are very easy to get and pretty
        cheap too.
        http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oatmeal/old-fashioned-oats.aspx
        Give me a guideline on the amount of grain. I will be going for
        Neutral with this and the Criteria should stay the same as the MUM
        wash. Basic sugar wash. The grains are providing the nutrients
        instead of the plant food.
        So basically i am replacing the Plant food with Oats and the tomato
        paste with fresh lemon juice. PH probably plays more of a role here
        than we realize.
        For the second run I might try boiling a quart of the trub and so on
        through a couple more iterations. I like the idea of being able to
        sour mash this but it's got to be relatively fast in the ferment
        bucket. 5 days max. 10% potential for the wash is a good number for
        me. I rarely go over that anyway.
        Just need to figure how much grain to get the nutrients needed.
        Oh. I will plan on using 2 gals of Backset per batch also. After the
        first sweet mash of course.

        Mason