Re: Steam Mashing (Was: The Art of Distilling Whiskey and Other Spirits)

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2009

      > Right nifty, thanks :)
      > In the mean time, I'll poke around the intarwebs and see what I can turn up.  I have an abundance of copper and no stainless on hand so I might give that a try for the superheat (unless there's compelling evidence to NOT use copper).
      >
      > Trid
      > -crap...rather be doing this than the "day job"

      You want steam generators?

      http://www.nature-helps.com/Distillation/essentie/production/EN/alembiceng.html

    • Zapata Vive
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9, 2009
        Well you will be heating the steam pipe pretty hot, and although the last thing you want is any kind of over pressure situation, I personally wouldn't use copper because the heat is bound to anneal and thus weaken it.  Note that there will be some pressure, the pressure required to bubble through your mash.  But I'd rather control the pressure with a safety release than guessing that the annealed copper will hold.  I think stainless actually gets stronger when heated, doesn't it?