Re: [Distillers] Steam Mashing (Was: The Art of Distilling Whiskey and Other Spirits)

  • Zapata Vive
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2009
      Several homebrewers have done it with great success and described their results thoroughly.  I've just started dabbling.  Just to point out though, that you'll want to get some stainless tube, as you want to super heat the steam, not just pipe it over straight from the boiler.  Most folks are doing this by making a coil of stainless tube which is between the flame and the pot.  From this coil the steam goes to the mash tun, either straight, or into a type of diffuser of some sort.

      I'll share some links and more details when I have more time, but it is a fascinating subject I'd like to explore further and perfect so I'd love more details.

      (insert disclosure and safety warnings galore)

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7, 2009
        --- On Tue, 4/7/09, Zapata Vive <zapatavive@...> wrote:
        Several homebrewers have done it with great success
        and described their results thoroughly. I've just started dabbling.
        Just to point out though, that you'll want to get some stainless tube, as you
        want to super heat the steam, not just pipe it over straight from the
        boiler. Most folks are doing this by making a coil of stainless tube which
        is between the flame and the pot. From this coil the steam goes to the
        mash tun, either straight, or into a type of diffuser of some sort.

        I'll share some links and more details when I have
        more time, but it is a fascinating subject I'd like to explore further and
        perfect so I'd love more details.

        ==================

        Right nifty, thanks :)
        In the mean time, I'll poke around the intarwebs and see what I can turn up. I have an abundance of copper and no stainless on hand so I might give that a try for the superheat (unless there's compelling evidence to NOT use copper).

        Trid
        -crap...rather be doing this than the "day job"
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2009

          > Right nifty, thanks :)
          > In the mean time, I'll poke around the intarwebs and see what I can turn up.  I have an abundance of copper and no stainless on hand so I might give that a try for the superheat (unless there's compelling evidence to NOT use copper).
          >
          > Trid
          > -crap...rather be doing this than the "day job"

          You want steam generators?

          http://www.nature-helps.com/Distillation/essentie/production/EN/alembiceng.html

        • Zapata Vive
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 9, 2009
            Well you will be heating the steam pipe pretty hot, and although the last thing you want is any kind of over pressure situation, I personally wouldn't use copper because the heat is bound to anneal and thus weaken it.  Note that there will be some pressure, the pressure required to bubble through your mash.  But I'd rather control the pressure with a safety release than guessing that the annealed copper will hold.  I think stainless actually gets stronger when heated, doesn't it?