RE: [Distillers] Question about growing your own yeast

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
      Lars,

      > I was thinking, why can't you grow your own stock of turbo yeast at home?

      Theres a wee bit of this discussed at http://homedistiller.org/ferment.htm

      Jack describes how basically to turn any of the high-tollerance yeasts into
      a "turbo", and there is also the information of how to breed up any of the
      yeasts. Of interest though, are some comments from Ola Norrman about the
      commercial "turbos" basically advising against trying to reuse them, for
      reasons he outlines.
      I guess it would come down to how easy it is to breed up the high alcohol
      tollerance yeasts, such that they're healthy enough to use with a big dose
      of nutrients.

      Tony
    • Dick
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
        In message <000001c1c076$791f1a80$16220b0a@administwflvyt>, Lars
        Norberg <lano1701@...> writes
        Hi Lars,
        >I was thinking, why can't you grow your own stock of turbo yeast at
        >home? I mean, yeast is just another microorganism, and if you put it in
        >sterile conditions with some nice nutrition, couldn't you just grow
        >large amounts of it at home then?
        It's possible to cultivate yeast but you always run the risk of mutation. I know
        some brewers repeatedly use successive growths of their yeast but I think
        I've read somewhere that to go beyond a 3rd generation you run the risk of
        producing a weakening yeast. All the distilleries I've visited seem to use fresh
        yeast for each fermentation.
        >It feels kind of stupid to pay like 3$ a pack doesn't it?
        Not really, $3 a pack compared with what we'd pay for commercial liquor
        doesn't seem too bad a price to pay, if our homebrew/distilling suppliers were
        to go out of business then there would be no where for the beginner to get
        bits & pieces & the hobby would die. Give our suppliers a chance, I've yet to
        meet one who is in the business purely to make a fortune !!
        --
        Dick
        Fra' Auld Reekie