Re: The Art of Distilling Whiskey and Other Spirits

  • Matthew Rowley
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2009
      Sherman!

      Sorry to have missed you at Alameda. Bill assured me that you were onsite, but it seemed we just kept passing each other. Hope you got the ticket to the tasting I left (though it seemed that all of us who attended has plenty enough to sample regardless).

      I haven't seen the final version of the book, but I contributed a chapter and Mike McCaw and Ian Smiley both wrote for it. We'll see what it looks like with edits. Max Watman (author of the forthcoming "Chasing the White Dog") has some in there as well as Bill Smith and Drew Faulkner from ADI.

      Glad to hear you'll be coming back West for some mashing. If you end up in Hayward, give a call or email: I'm always looking for an excuse to hit northern California.

      ~ rowley

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...> wrote:

      > Wal this is a huge coincidence. I was at the ADI Brany Conference, this weekend. I have been invited by Bill to come to his place and teach him and his crew Micro scale corn mashing.
      > Some of the things he said he would like to add to the information are:
      > 1. Sour Starter
      > 2. Sour steeping
      > 3. Steam injection cooking
      > 4. Fermentation on grains
      > 5. Practical Separation of the grains between fermentation and distillation.
      > 6. Starting the "Sour Mash" cycle using a combination of back set and lees.
      >
      > His vision of micro scale is mashing in a 220L polyester barrel with the top removed and a ss keg as a boiler for the steam.
      > I know there were others there, from these groups and forums whenever this discussion came up. This was my take on what Bill was specifying was the reason for the invitation and I am sure there are others that agree he want to demonstrate the highest quality micro process that could be repeated by anyone with a small investment.
      > I intend to show him my version of mashing in the Woodford Reserve Style. I checked with Chris Morris in March when I attended the Bourbon Academy that they are using injection for mashing but have eliminated injection for distilling. He confirmed that this was so. I have a picture of their piping to their cooker to confirm it for myself.
      > I am hoping this will be a value to those wanting to produce exceptional quality all grain spirits. I do believe this book is going down the "Coffee Table" style and will have lots of pictures. The lack of demonstration and visuals is where most books have fallen very short to date.
      > I am looking forward to sharing all these techniques. He stated a June time line for the mashing. I'll keep you updated.

    • Zapata Vive
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7, 2009
        Several homebrewers have done it with great success and described their results thoroughly.  I've just started dabbling.  Just to point out though, that you'll want to get some stainless tube, as you want to super heat the steam, not just pipe it over straight from the boiler.  Most folks are doing this by making a coil of stainless tube which is between the flame and the pot.  From this coil the steam goes to the mash tun, either straight, or into a type of diffuser of some sort.

        I'll share some links and more details when I have more time, but it is a fascinating subject I'd like to explore further and perfect so I'd love more details.

        (insert disclosure and safety warnings galore)

        > His vision of micro scale is mashing in a 220L polyester
        > barrel with the top removed and a ss keg as a boiler for the
        > steam.

        Have you any first hand time steam mashing? I know possible questions that have come up elsewhere is denaturing enzymes due to excessive heat and such things.
        Either way, it sounds like a nifty experiment to undertake along that scale. I have a stainless milk can that I might be able to fashion into a boiler for the sake of experimentation.

        Thoughts? Ideas? Input?

        Trid
        -mad tinker is warming up...RUN!

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2009
          --- On Tue, 4/7/09, Zapata Vive <zapatavive@...> wrote:
          Several homebrewers have done it with great success
          and described their results thoroughly. I've just started dabbling.
          Just to point out though, that you'll want to get some stainless tube, as you
          want to super heat the steam, not just pipe it over straight from the
          boiler. Most folks are doing this by making a coil of stainless tube which
          is between the flame and the pot. From this coil the steam goes to the
          mash tun, either straight, or into a type of diffuser of some sort.

          I'll share some links and more details when I have
          more time, but it is a fascinating subject I'd like to explore further and
          perfect so I'd love more details.

          ==================

          Right nifty, thanks :)
          In the mean time, I'll poke around the intarwebs and see what I can turn up. I have an abundance of copper and no stainless on hand so I might give that a try for the superheat (unless there's compelling evidence to NOT use copper).

          Trid
          -crap...rather be doing this than the "day job"
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2009

            > Right nifty, thanks :)
            > In the mean time, I'll poke around the intarwebs and see what I can turn up.  I have an abundance of copper and no stainless on hand so I might give that a try for the superheat (unless there's compelling evidence to NOT use copper).
            >
            > Trid
            > -crap...rather be doing this than the "day job"

            You want steam generators?

            http://www.nature-helps.com/Distillation/essentie/production/EN/alembiceng.html

          • Zapata Vive
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 9, 2009
              Well you will be heating the steam pipe pretty hot, and although the last thing you want is any kind of over pressure situation, I personally wouldn't use copper because the heat is bound to anneal and thus weaken it.  Note that there will be some pressure, the pressure required to bubble through your mash.  But I'd rather control the pressure with a safety release than guessing that the annealed copper will hold.  I think stainless actually gets stronger when heated, doesn't it?