Re: [Distillers] Re: Parrot's beak...

  • Zapata Vive
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 6, 2009
      Question on reading a hydrometer in a beak precisely.  I admit I've been wondering this for a long time, and just guessing.  Do I read at the level of the top of the beak?  At the level of the bubble on top of the beak opening?  At the slightly higher spot that rises where it meets the glass of the hydrometer?  Personally I think that the top of the bubble, but not where it curves up where it meets the glass.  At least that is where I've been reading it, but don't know for sure.  It's only about 2% either way, and that fine of a cut I make by taste anyway, but always been curious.

      And just a note, I don't even put my thermometer in for flavored runs anymore.  Why bother?  I can guestimate what the hydrometer reads from well across the room by how much of it is sticking up out of the beak.  Have to be right on top of it to read the thermometer.

      Thermometer is used for making tails cut on neutral though.  It will rise before the ABV drops in my experience.

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 6, 2009
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

        > Question on reading a hydrometer in a beak precisely. I admit I've been wondering this for a long time, and just guessing. Do I read at the level of the top of the beak? At the level of the bubble on top of the beak opening? At the slightly higher spot that rises where it meets the glass of the hydrometer? Personally I think that the top of the bubble, but not where it curves up where it meets the glass. At least that is where I've been reading it, but don't know for sure. It's only about 2% either way, and that fine of a cut I make by taste anyway, but always been curious.
        >
        > And just a note, I don't even put my thermometer in for flavored runs anymore. Why bother? I can guestimate what the hydrometer reads from well across the room by how much of it is sticking up out of the beak. Have to be right on top of it to read the thermometer.
        >
        > Thermometer is used for making tails cut on neutral though. It will rise before the ABV drops in my experience.

        That slightly curvy bit where liquid touches the shaft of the hydrometer (or thermometer) is known as the Meniscus, Always measure the lower surface level of the meniscus. See here for a fun thing to make...
        http://www.ecawa.asn.au/home/jfuller/liquids/hydrometers.htm