Re: Rum Drinker

  • ke5ufg
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6 6:56 AM
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "noelbaker46" <noelbaker46@...> wrote:

      > As a new member, Hello all, I have been brewing and distilling for about 5 years now and want to improve my brew (rum). Have been using a home constructed reflux still and would like to move on to a more specific pot still for rum without essencing everything. So I need some help, suggestions, or to be told I am totally mad
      > A australian rum lover.

      This is not a specific answer to your post but being that you are new, if you do some searches on this group you will find that there are people that have been successful at making rum with a reflux still and not using essences. These people have posted how and when to make the cuts to get the flavors you are after. if i may, i suggest you do some reading here and on the home distillers web site before going through with the pot still.

      good luck.
    • anthonyathawes
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6 8:39 AM
        No, your not mad. You're simply setting out on a long trail with diverse routes.

        Some use Dunder. Others don't.Some use brown sugar. Others, white. Some use ordinary yeast. Others, special yeast. Some say you need a tropical climate. Others have got results in a temperate one. Some get good result in one strip. Others would use two. Some use a Liebig. Others an un-refluxed, fluxed still. Some use the middle third of fresh dunder. Some wait for it to go off. Some make their caramel. Others would buy it. Some use dunder simply for its water content. Molasses is a subject of its own. Oaking. You might get away with charring some with a blow lamp.

        The good thing about distilling is that it kills off most of the un-pleasant things and what you have left is usually pleasantly drinkable or flavourable.

        Good Luck!

        Tony