Rum Drinker

  • noelbaker46
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2009
      As a new member, Hello all, I have been brewing and distilling for about 5 years now and want to improve my brew (rum). Have been using a home constructed reflux still and would like to move on to a more specific pot still for rum without essencing everything. So I need some help, suggestions, or to be told I am totally mad
      A australian rum lover.
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2009
        Noel,

        You're not totally mad at all. I make rum with good flavor in a potstill, and the top end of my still is nothing special at all, just a 2"x24" unpacked copper column (I guess technically a vertical lyne arm), with a 45-degree downward 1/2" lyne arm to a Liebig condenser. I know some people are having trouble getting sufficient rum flavor, but that *appears* to be a function of the wash recipe.

        The recipe I got from a friend whose distillate tasted great is simply 10 pounds C&H Golden brown sugar, 4 cups of agricultural blackstrap molasses, and 5.5 gallons of water (or water/dunder, on succeeding washes) , with whatever you use for yeast nutrient.  I'm not sure what you have available for molasses, but I think the inky black stuff I use contributes a lot to the flavor.

        In our cool climate, it's not a fast fermenter, but it's never stuck.

        That good rum flavor comes on stronger later in the hearts, so collect well into the tails in small collection jars, so you can taste later to make the cuts. Also, on the spirit run, go slowly (actually, I think most people would happily drink my beer-stripped rum as good, but I double-distill).

        Hope this helps.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: noelbaker46@...
        Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:52:01 +0000
        Subject: [Distillers] Rum Drinker

        As a new member, Hello all, I have been brewing and distilling for about 5 years now and want to improve my brew (rum). Have been using a home constructed reflux still and would like to move on to a more specific pot still for rum without essencing everything. So I need some help, suggestions, or to be told I am totally mad
        A australian rum lover.

        Rediscover HotmailĀ®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.
      • ke5ufg
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2009
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "noelbaker46" <noelbaker46@...> wrote:

          > As a new member, Hello all, I have been brewing and distilling for about 5 years now and want to improve my brew (rum). Have been using a home constructed reflux still and would like to move on to a more specific pot still for rum without essencing everything. So I need some help, suggestions, or to be told I am totally mad
          > A australian rum lover.

          This is not a specific answer to your post but being that you are new, if you do some searches on this group you will find that there are people that have been successful at making rum with a reflux still and not using essences. These people have posted how and when to make the cuts to get the flavors you are after. if i may, i suggest you do some reading here and on the home distillers web site before going through with the pot still.

          good luck.
        • anthonyathawes
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2009
            No, your not mad. You're simply setting out on a long trail with diverse routes.

            Some use Dunder. Others don't.Some use brown sugar. Others, white. Some use ordinary yeast. Others, special yeast. Some say you need a tropical climate. Others have got results in a temperate one. Some get good result in one strip. Others would use two. Some use a Liebig. Others an un-refluxed, fluxed still. Some use the middle third of fresh dunder. Some wait for it to go off. Some make their caramel. Others would buy it. Some use dunder simply for its water content. Molasses is a subject of its own. Oaking. You might get away with charring some with a blow lamp.

            The good thing about distilling is that it kills off most of the un-pleasant things and what you have left is usually pleasantly drinkable or flavourable.

            Good Luck!

            Tony