Re: [Distillers] Re: Parrot's beak...

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3 9:57 AM
      --- On Fri, 4/3/09, abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

      > The problem as I pointed out is the accuracy. Now a high
      > quality digital thermometer works just as well as
      > parrot's beak if you know the cut points. The problem is
      > that cheap thermoprobes have 0.2C accuracy and cheap digital
      > thermometers/probes sometimes loose their calibration (as
      > has happened to me) or are calibrated wrong to begin with.
      > With non-digital thermometers the cut can be done but the
      > accuracy is not very good.

      Or in my case, my cheap ol' thermometer is of unknown accuracy, but only displays to the whole degree. It's a handy tool to keep an eye on things as the rig is warming up and to have a ballpark idea of where I am in the run. In the end, the parrot's beak fine tunes that without having to invest in a more spendy thermometer. I still go primarily by taste/smell, but all the tools have their uses.

      Trid
      -the only guarantee we can make is that there are no absolutes
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 4 6:30 AM
        Exactly the point. For a beginner parrots beak and ABV based cuts serve as extremely useful guide for getting the feel of that taste and smell. Once you figure it out and start making cuts to your taste you can do without the beak or thermometer. Well, for ending the distillation they still serve a purpose of course.

        Slainte, Riku

        > Or in my case, my cheap ol' thermometer is of unknown accuracy, but only displays to the whole degree. It's a handy tool to keep an eye on things as the rig is warming up and to have a ballpark idea of where I am in the run. In the end, the parrot's beak fine tunes that without having to invest in a more spendy thermometer. I still go primarily by taste/smell, but all the tools have their uses.
        >
        > Trid
        > -the only guarantee we can make is that there are no absolutes

      • Zapata Vive
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 6 11:34 AM
          Question on reading a hydrometer in a beak precisely.  I admit I've been wondering this for a long time, and just guessing.  Do I read at the level of the top of the beak?  At the level of the bubble on top of the beak opening?  At the slightly higher spot that rises where it meets the glass of the hydrometer?  Personally I think that the top of the bubble, but not where it curves up where it meets the glass.  At least that is where I've been reading it, but don't know for sure.  It's only about 2% either way, and that fine of a cut I make by taste anyway, but always been curious.

          And just a note, I don't even put my thermometer in for flavored runs anymore.  Why bother?  I can guestimate what the hydrometer reads from well across the room by how much of it is sticking up out of the beak.  Have to be right on top of it to read the thermometer.

          Thermometer is used for making tails cut on neutral though.  It will rise before the ABV drops in my experience.

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 6 12:21 PM
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

            > Question on reading a hydrometer in a beak precisely. I admit I've been wondering this for a long time, and just guessing. Do I read at the level of the top of the beak? At the level of the bubble on top of the beak opening? At the slightly higher spot that rises where it meets the glass of the hydrometer? Personally I think that the top of the bubble, but not where it curves up where it meets the glass. At least that is where I've been reading it, but don't know for sure. It's only about 2% either way, and that fine of a cut I make by taste anyway, but always been curious.
            >
            > And just a note, I don't even put my thermometer in for flavored runs anymore. Why bother? I can guestimate what the hydrometer reads from well across the room by how much of it is sticking up out of the beak. Have to be right on top of it to read the thermometer.
            >
            > Thermometer is used for making tails cut on neutral though. It will rise before the ABV drops in my experience.

            That slightly curvy bit where liquid touches the shaft of the hydrometer (or thermometer) is known as the Meniscus, Always measure the lower surface level of the meniscus. See here for a fun thing to make...
            http://www.ecawa.asn.au/home/jfuller/liquids/hydrometers.htm