Re: Parrot's beak...

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2009
      OK, I'll correct meself. 57% ABV = 81.9C, 62% ABV = 81.4C. I read the wrong line in the table... That 81-82C would then be 65%-56% which would be the same as difference inbetween regular cut and very late cut.

      > Parrot's beak is typically more accurate than your thermometer. As an example the ABV range of 57%-62% presents a change from 81C-82C in vapor temperature. Unless you have an accurate digital thermometer the parrot's beak is better in accuracy.
      >
      > As a negative aspect the heads components do mix and stay longer in the beak due to it's volume making your heads cut larger. On the other hand this may well contribute to the flavor of whisky, these things are very hard to judge correctly without extensive and detailed testing.
      >
      > Slainte, Riku
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "PhilipWilson" <pgw@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've got a parrot beak. It's fun to watch, but I've essentially stopped using it in favor of monitoring the vapor temperature at takeoff. One can easily work backward from vapor temperature to %ABV, right? Is there any reason to prefer a parrot beak?

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 3, 2009
        I think I need new glasses, I was AGAIN reading the wrong line of that b***dy table as pointed out by one of our members. Or perhaps I just need to learn how to use it ...

        Anyway, new example now:
        55% abv -> 92.6C
        65% abv -> 89.7C
        75% abv -> 85.2C

        The problem as I pointed out is the accuracy. Now a high quality digital thermometer works just as well as parrot's beak if you know the cut points. The problem is that cheap thermoprobes have 0.2C accuracy and cheap digital thermometers/probes sometimes loose their calibration (as has happened to me) or are calibrated wrong to begin with. With non-digital thermometers the cut can be done but the accuracy is not very good.

        Another problem with thermometers is that what they show can also vary depending on the location in the still head and mounting (heat conductivity) and so on.

        If you want to use thermometer, by all means do it. Just remember that you need to find the correct cutpoint values for your still and thermometer. With parrots beak it is possible to give out generic cut points for a generic pot still, with thermometer there are too many variables to do that accurately.

        Slainte, Riku

        > OK, I'll correct meself. 57% ABV = 81.9C, 62% ABV = 81.4C. I read the wrong line in the table... That 81-82C would then be 65%-56% which would be the same as difference inbetween regular cut and very late cut.
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Parrot's beak is typically more accurate than your thermometer. As an example the ABV range of 57%-62% presents a change from 81C-82C in vapor temperature. Unless you have an accurate digital thermometer the parrot's beak is better in accuracy.
        > >
        > > As a negative aspect the heads components do mix and stay longer in the beak due to it's volume making your heads cut larger. On the other hand this may well contribute to the flavor of whisky, these things are very hard to judge correctly without extensive and detailed testing.
        > >
        > > Slainte, Riku

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3, 2009
          --- On Fri, 4/3/09, abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > The problem as I pointed out is the accuracy. Now a high
          > quality digital thermometer works just as well as
          > parrot's beak if you know the cut points. The problem is
          > that cheap thermoprobes have 0.2C accuracy and cheap digital
          > thermometers/probes sometimes loose their calibration (as
          > has happened to me) or are calibrated wrong to begin with.
          > With non-digital thermometers the cut can be done but the
          > accuracy is not very good.

          Or in my case, my cheap ol' thermometer is of unknown accuracy, but only displays to the whole degree. It's a handy tool to keep an eye on things as the rig is warming up and to have a ballpark idea of where I am in the run. In the end, the parrot's beak fine tunes that without having to invest in a more spendy thermometer. I still go primarily by taste/smell, but all the tools have their uses.

          Trid
          -the only guarantee we can make is that there are no absolutes
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 4, 2009
            Exactly the point. For a beginner parrots beak and ABV based cuts serve as extremely useful guide for getting the feel of that taste and smell. Once you figure it out and start making cuts to your taste you can do without the beak or thermometer. Well, for ending the distillation they still serve a purpose of course.

            Slainte, Riku

            > Or in my case, my cheap ol' thermometer is of unknown accuracy, but only displays to the whole degree. It's a handy tool to keep an eye on things as the rig is warming up and to have a ballpark idea of where I am in the run. In the end, the parrot's beak fine tunes that without having to invest in a more spendy thermometer. I still go primarily by taste/smell, but all the tools have their uses.
            >
            > Trid
            > -the only guarantee we can make is that there are no absolutes

          • Zapata Vive
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 6, 2009
              Question on reading a hydrometer in a beak precisely.  I admit I've been wondering this for a long time, and just guessing.  Do I read at the level of the top of the beak?  At the level of the bubble on top of the beak opening?  At the slightly higher spot that rises where it meets the glass of the hydrometer?  Personally I think that the top of the bubble, but not where it curves up where it meets the glass.  At least that is where I've been reading it, but don't know for sure.  It's only about 2% either way, and that fine of a cut I make by taste anyway, but always been curious.

              And just a note, I don't even put my thermometer in for flavored runs anymore.  Why bother?  I can guestimate what the hydrometer reads from well across the room by how much of it is sticking up out of the beak.  Have to be right on top of it to read the thermometer.

              Thermometer is used for making tails cut on neutral though.  It will rise before the ABV drops in my experience.

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 6, 2009
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

                > Question on reading a hydrometer in a beak precisely. I admit I've been wondering this for a long time, and just guessing. Do I read at the level of the top of the beak? At the level of the bubble on top of the beak opening? At the slightly higher spot that rises where it meets the glass of the hydrometer? Personally I think that the top of the bubble, but not where it curves up where it meets the glass. At least that is where I've been reading it, but don't know for sure. It's only about 2% either way, and that fine of a cut I make by taste anyway, but always been curious.
                >
                > And just a note, I don't even put my thermometer in for flavored runs anymore. Why bother? I can guestimate what the hydrometer reads from well across the room by how much of it is sticking up out of the beak. Have to be right on top of it to read the thermometer.
                >
                > Thermometer is used for making tails cut on neutral though. It will rise before the ABV drops in my experience.

                That slightly curvy bit where liquid touches the shaft of the hydrometer (or thermometer) is known as the Meniscus, Always measure the lower surface level of the meniscus. See here for a fun thing to make...
                http://www.ecawa.asn.au/home/jfuller/liquids/hydrometers.htm