Thor's hammer for whiskey and stripping

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2009
      I know some of you have built your versions of the Thor's hammer so here's some of my recent whisky making experiences:

      I made some sour mash malt whisky recently which turned out surprisingly good. Now the reason I bring this up here is that I used Thorshammer for the task.

      I took a 50 cm column bit filled with mesh + hammer head and mounted them to the boiler. The hammer head has additional ball valve type bottom valve which allows it to be used as LM still head.

      The actual distillation went really well. First I noticed that the combo could be run at 3kW with valve fully open. I cut down to 2kW after a while to prevent choking for reflux action. I took out the heads with valve fully open, then after the cut point I closed the valve ever so slightly so that the stream of alcohol coming out got slightly reduced. The actual reflux ratio was probably less than one. All this produced alcohol at 92% ABV once I started the reflux action. Collected with the same setting untill the boiler temp was about 98C and ABV down to 40%. Tails cut made by taste. This all produces a very good Irish style whiskey.

      All in all this approach allowed me to get much more hearts out of the mash when compared to a traditional pot still, while still retaining the taste of whisky. I wholeheartedly recommend this approach for those of you interested in whisky. The downside is that cut points are no longer ABV based in this approach, so you'll have to use your nose and tastebuds for making the cuts.

      Slainte, Riku
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2009

        > I know some of you have built your versions of the Thor's hammer so here's some of my recent whisky making experiences:

        What is Thors Hammer (the Still Version) I have heard the legend but never met the actual beast.

        Mason
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I know some of you have built your versions of the Thor's hammer so here's some of my recent whisky making experiences:
          >

          > What is Thors Hammer (the Still Version) I have heard the legend but never met the actual beast.
          >
          > Mason

          That's my latest reflux condenser / automatic heads remover combo as described in the book. Looks a bit like Harry's cross flow condenser on the outside.

          Slainte, Riku