Question about growing your own yeast

  • Lars Norberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2002

      Hi all!

      I was thinking, why can’t you grow your own stock of turbo yeast at home? I mean, yeast is just another microorganism, and if you put it in sterile conditions with some nice nutrition, couldn’t you just grow large amounts of it at home then?

      It feels kind of stupid to pay like 3$ a pack doesn’t it?

      Of course, you probably need to buy the special nutrients that are used in the “turbo yeast packs” anyway, so the cost isn’t eliminated at all, but I guess with some research it shouldn’t be to hard to cook up those nutrients from some household products either, should it?

      Have any of you tried this? To me, studying molecular biology and such, it doesn’t sound like to hard a feat to accomplish, but I guess there is some kind of catch, otherwise, all of you would be doing it, right? :)

      /Lars

    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 11:03 AM
        Lars,

        > I was thinking, why can't you grow your own stock of turbo yeast at home?

        Theres a wee bit of this discussed at http://homedistiller.org/ferment.htm

        Jack describes how basically to turn any of the high-tollerance yeasts into
        a "turbo", and there is also the information of how to breed up any of the
        yeasts. Of interest though, are some comments from Ola Norrman about the
        commercial "turbos" basically advising against trying to reuse them, for
        reasons he outlines.
        I guess it would come down to how easy it is to breed up the high alcohol
        tollerance yeasts, such that they're healthy enough to use with a big dose
        of nutrients.

        Tony
      • Dick
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1 12:11 PM
          In message <000001c1c076$791f1a80$16220b0a@administwflvyt>, Lars
          Norberg <lano1701@...> writes
          Hi Lars,
          >I was thinking, why can't you grow your own stock of turbo yeast at
          >home? I mean, yeast is just another microorganism, and if you put it in
          >sterile conditions with some nice nutrition, couldn't you just grow
          >large amounts of it at home then?
          It's possible to cultivate yeast but you always run the risk of mutation. I know
          some brewers repeatedly use successive growths of their yeast but I think
          I've read somewhere that to go beyond a 3rd generation you run the risk of
          producing a weakening yeast. All the distilleries I've visited seem to use fresh
          yeast for each fermentation.
          >It feels kind of stupid to pay like 3$ a pack doesn't it?
          Not really, $3 a pack compared with what we'd pay for commercial liquor
          doesn't seem too bad a price to pay, if our homebrew/distilling suppliers were
          to go out of business then there would be no where for the beginner to get
          bits & pieces & the hobby would die. Give our suppliers a chance, I've yet to
          meet one who is in the business purely to make a fortune !!
          --
          Dick
          Fra' Auld Reekie