RE: [Distillers] Re: I wanna do a book

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 25 7:59 AM
      Mike,

      If I understand your point corrrectly, I agree. In my opinion, forcing  a beginner to learn the principles of congener production management before he or she can make the first simple potstill run, is  like forcing a child to understand metabolism and electron-transport phosphoryllation before it can eat the first sandwich.

      On the other hand, by focusing on simple and sequential knowledge, I can have the newbie build a potstill and complete a brandy run, with cuts, in the first 2 days, with enough knowledge to understand the process, for very little money.

      It is my intent to give the newbie the basics of good fermentation, for wines, beers, and sugar washes, but I'll point to books and sites that have the details, if the newbie needs them.

      Think, "simplest necessary information".

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: eme@...
      Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:55:27 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: I wanna do a book

      Ok - good idea - difficult but difficult to define the beginners needs - a basic problem is their level of understanding - the problem is not that they don't understand the answers it's more that they can't conceptualise the questions - for instance consider this ""beginners topic" at the forthcoming Distillers Conference :

      "Topic: Fermentation Management for Congener Control

      Fermentation is the critical first step in the distillation process. Many volatile flavor compounds that develop during yeast growth and metabolism are difficult to separate from ethanol and come through from the finished product. This is especially true for pot distilled spirits so it is important to understand the mechanisms and products of yeast metabolism and the options available for manipulating fermentation"

      - please remember distilling is only one weapon in the liquor craftsman's arsenal :-)

      Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier. Download FREE now!