RE: [Distillers] pot still

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 27, 2002
      Koshy

      > I have already built a reflex still based on Tony's design at stillman with

      If you're talking about the design at http://www.moonshine-still.com then nope, it aint mine. All credit to StillMaker (Bob) for that one.

      My site is http://homedistiller.org I've got some info about making a pot still there - see http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm#make_pot

      Tony
    • paulski918
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
        New to the distilling hobby.but would like to build a 20l pot still
        can anyone guide me in the right direction any help would be great.i
        have the pot and stainless bowl.
        paul
      • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
          Check out http://www.homedistiller.org/designs.htm#make_pot. A pot still is one of the simplist designs.
          Cheers,
          Leigh.

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 12, 2003
            Paul, please visit http://homedistiller.org it is all there.

            paulski918 <paulie918@...> wrote:New to the distilling hobby.but would like to build a 20l pot still can anyone guide me in the right direction any help would be great.i have the pot and stainless bowl. paul

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

          • phat_greger
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2004
              hi, im new to the distillation of alcohol, and was wondering if
              anyone could give me info/ advice on making a pot still to distill
              rum, thanks,
              Robert
            • foutzdj
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2005
                I built a pot still. But it runs at about 78% removing all the flavor.
                I think this attributed to my long, upward 45 degree arm, causing
                reflux. I run slow, and it takes all day. I use 20 L batches and get
                around 3 liters out of it. Is there anyway i can get the flavor back
                into it? How long should I be collecting? How much ethanol should i
                get? Flavor afterwards?
              • Levi Langershank
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2005
                  Run it faster...less reflux=more flavor....:>)

                  Levi

                  (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

                  >From: "foutzdj" <foutzdj@...>
                  >Subject: [Distillers] pot still
                  >Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:02:25 -0000
                  I run slow, and it takes all day. How much ethanol should i
                  >get? Flavor afterwards?

                • dean
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 31, 2005
                    Hi Foutzdj,
                    There are a few ways to get more flavour:-
                    - One don't be so drastic when making your cuts the heads and the tails
                    is where the flavour is but be careful the heads are where the headache
                    juices are.
                    - Two don't run it so slow (reduce the reflux rate) in the case of a pot
                    still that means more heat.
                    - Three reduce the length of your line arm this will also reduce the reflux.

                    One of the above or a combination of all should see you in the right
                    direction but personally I would start with the easiest first increase
                    the heat. Not being a pot still user I could be wrong on this but I
                    imagine that a 20L wash shouldn't take all day, that in conjunction with
                    a bit of experimentation with your cuts and you should be well on the
                    way to a fine spirit.

                    Dean.

                    foutzdj wrote:

                    >I built a pot still. But it runs at about 78% removing all the flavor.
                    >I think this attributed to my long, upward 45 degree arm, causing
                    >reflux. I run slow, and it takes all day. I use 20 L batches and get
                    >around 3 liters out of it. Is there anyway i can get the flavor back
                    >into it? How long should I be collecting? How much ethanol should i
                    >get? Flavor afterwards?

                  • Snowblind Moose
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 31, 2005
                      If you're getting 78% - I'm assuming you're using "turbo" yeasts
                      (like "pot distillers turbo"). For more flavour you could try ec1118
                      or something similar. With a lower alohol content in the mash, there
                      will be a lower a.b.v. in the distilate - hence more flavour.

                      I've used the turbo pot distillers yeast with fruit based mashes, and
                      they come through in the mid to high 70's as well (I too have a 45
                      degree "reflux angle"). I've had plenty of flavour - but I really
                      throw a lot of fruit in the mash. And don't carbon filter, that
                      takes all the flavour out (I found that one out the hard way! lol)

                      Good luck!
                      -Tony

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

                      > I built a pot still. But it runs at about 78% removing all the
                      flavor.
                    • Derek Hamlet
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 31, 2005
                        I'm a little confused. I can see how different yeasts have different
                        effects on the flavour of the mash. But, once you dump it in the still it
                        seems to be the flavor of the product has everything to do with how the
                        still is capable of working and how you run it.
                        EC1118 is the universal yeast. It kills just about any other yeast in its
                        presence, has a huge temperature range under which it can work and can
                        tolerate working up to 18% alcohol. While it may take a little longer than
                        turbos, with the appropriate use of nutrients it is a cheap yeast to
                        produce excellent washes.
                        I used it recently to produce my latest rum wash from agricultural mollases
                        and sugar. Seems to have worked like a champ.
                        At 09:36 PM 31/01/2005, you wrote:

                        >If you're getting 78% - I'm assuming you're using "turbo" yeasts
                        >(like "pot distillers turbo"). For more flavour you could try ec1118
                        >or something similar. With a lower alohol content in the mash, there
                        >will be a lower a.b.v. in the distilate - hence more flavour.
                        >
                        >I've used the turbo pot distillers yeast with fruit based mashes, and
                        >they come through in the mid to high 70's as well (I too have a 45
                        >degree "reflux angle"). I've had plenty of flavour - but I really
                        >throw a lot of fruit in the mash. And don't carbon filter, that
                        >takes all the flavour out (I found that one out the hard way! lol)
                        >
                        >Good luck!
                        >-Tony
                        >

                        >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > I built a pot still. But it runs at about 78% removing all the
                        >flavor.

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Derek Hamlet
                        Victoria, B.C.
                      • Snowblind Moose
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 31, 2005
                          Hello Derek,

                          By mentioning other than turbo yeasts, I was implying that they
                          generally produce less than 18% a.b.v. I used to make fruit mashes
                          with ec1118 that were typically 12 - 14%. The way it effects the
                          flavour of the distilled product is that the lower a.b.v would allow
                          for more flavours. (obviously 40% alcohol allows for 60% "others",
                          including flavour - 80% alcohol allows for 20% "others" and less
                          flavour) The strength of your distilate (and therefore flavour)
                          after one run through a pot still, has a lot to do with the strength
                          of the mash (one "plate" if I understand the term correctly).

                          This gentleman was looking for a way to keep the alcohol percent
                          down, so the flavour percent could be higher.

                          Ec1118 is a great yeast, and I guess with nutrients and in the right
                          environment it can get as high as 18% - but it can be kept lower
                          quite easily, and therefore makes an excellent "brandy" yeast.

                          Cheers,
                          -Tony

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
                          wrote:
                          > I'm a little confused. I can see how different yeasts have
                          different
                          > effects on the flavour of the mash. But, once you dump it in the
                          still it
                          > seems to be the flavor of the product has everything to do with how
                          the
                          > still is capable of working and how you run it.
                        • fishonmil69
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 17, 2010
                            I own a small 4 gallon pot still,I was wonder do I have to run my spirit several time through the distill process and if so do I add my spirits to clean water then start the process again? and how much water do I start with. 3 gallons of mash and I collect 2 quarts at 144 proof
                          • Bryan Bornais
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 17, 2010
                              You are asking very valid questions.

                              Please join the sister site, New Distillers. You will find more answers to your questions there than are available here.

                              It is mostly the same people, but the topics are more fitting.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 18, 2010
                                Hi there. In general to your questions, a Pot still is about taste and a Reflux is about neutral. One makes, whiskey, rum, etc;, while the other make Vodka, Gin, etc; You can get a very clean vodka from a pot still by doing proper cuts and re-distilling again and again. A thumper or doubler really help when making a higher proof neutral with a pot still. For instance:

                                I make a sweet feed sour mash whiskey with a pot still. After cutting the Forshots, Heads, hearts and tails very carefully, I can produce a very smooth Sweet Feed Sour Mash Whiskey on one run of the still. The still has no doubler or thumper fitted and gives a great tasting whiskey that will only get better with aging.

                                in answer to your question, with only the information provided, redistillation of 120 proof (60%abv) must be diluted with water so the the water content is greater that the low wines content. (60% water - 40% Low wines). Dilute your take off to 40%abv an re-run. If a whiskey is output then some of the taste will be lost, but not all. If it's a vodka your after then this process will only make it cleaner. Remember that proper cuts is the key here.

                                Hope this helps and in future please tell us the output that you are after. Flavored or Neutrals....

                                S.

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fishonmil69" <fishonmil@...> wrote:

                                > I own a small 4 gallon pot still,I was wonder do I have to run my spirit several time through the distill process and if so do I add my spirits to clean water then start the process again? and how much water do I start with. 3 gallons of mash and I collect 2 quarts at 144 proof

                              • Moonshine
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 4 3:20 AM
                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fishonmil69" <fishonmil@...> wrote:

                                  > I own a small 4 gallon pot still,I was wonder do I have to run my spirit several time through the distill process and if so do I add my spirits to clean water then start the process again? and how much water do I start with. 3 gallons of mash and I collect 2 quarts at 144 proof

                                  If you distill it slowly and separate the alcohol in 3 different cuts - using only the body. you should be OK with just one run. It will even become better in case you mature it using wood.

                                  Cheers.

                                  StillCooker - Still cookin'
                                  www.StillCooker.com
                                • juliet kent
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 6, 2010
                                    What about this one?
                                    There have been no pot stills on trade me under $800.00 for months and now there are three in a row.  This one has some info with it.  Thanks so much for the info already posted.  Will probably go with the one already suggested but this one is half the price so thought I would ask.  Cheers, Ju
                                    20L pot still
                                    Comes with Heat element, 25L fermenting drum, Air Lock, Thermometer, alcohol hydrometer, a packet of turbo yeast, and some sterilizer.

                                    Everything you need to start brewing, minus the sugar of course

                                    Have used it a couple of times and then lost interest.
                                    From memory it produced alcohol at 60%

                                    Pick up only as there are fragile items.
                                  • just me
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 7, 2010
                                      Hi Juliet,
                                      Here is a link to brewhaus.http://www.brewhaus.com/.I have only good experiences with the shop.I would recommend the hi capacity unit.It can be run as a pot still or reflux.I would stay away from the turboyeast.I stick to mum washs now.
                                      Just Me
                                      A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand
                                      times the memory.