Caraway and saffron

  • king edward potatohead
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2002
      Another batch based on potatoes - I used a load from the allotment that I didn't like for
      cooking - they were the ultra floury type that disintegrate when boiled and don't brown well but
      were great for preparing a wash because they fall apart ( Edzel Blue if anyone's interested ).

      I just did a standard mash and fermented, added a bay leaf during the second distillation and
      gave it three rounds through the still. Diluted to 50% ABV, then I added 1 1/2tsp of bruised
      caraway seeds to 750ml  of spirit and quarter a teaspoon of saffron strands.

      After a week I've got a nice golden spirit with a strange but pleasant flavour, as my wife said
      'You can brew that again."
      Strounge

      A beer.com Beer Mail fanatic
      Beer Mail, brought to you by your friends at beer.com.