Re: refractometer for distalate?

  • unarobert
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <hodgespeed@...> wrote:

      > > ...Or just use an appropriate spirit hydrometer. Commercials do. So do excise gaugers. Cheap, and accurate enough.
      > >

      > > Slainte!
      > > regards Harry
      > >

      > that's my current practice. but if i could accuratly tell what is coming out of a still using a sample size of one drop,and have automatic temerature correction, i'd think i could make cuts more accuratly.

      http://www.industrial-needs.com/technical-data/refractometer-PCE-ALK.htm

      here's exactly what i'm talking about,but it is only calibrated from 0-80% ABV
    • Zapata Vive
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
        I agree they would be great.  Not great enough for me to outlay he $400-$1000 a true alcohol refractometer would cost.

        Are you using a parrot's beak?  I know there isn't automatic temperature correction with them, but it provides a real time reading that is even more convenient to me than a refractometer would be because it is continuously monitoring the output vs. having to take samples, even if only a few drops.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

          > I agree they would be great. Not great enough for me to outlay he $400-$1000 a true alcohol refractometer would cost.
          >
          > Are you using a parrot's beak? I know there isn't automatic temperature correction with them, but it provides a real time reading that is even more convenient to me than a refractometer would be because it is continuously monitoring the output vs. having to take samples, even if only a few drops.

          Yes a parrot inline is continuous monitoring. Further to that....these are the type of instruments I'm talking about. NIST calibrated, accurate to 3 decimal points of a percent. Under $40 ea.
          http://tinyurl.com/aqw6vp

          No refractometer alive is that accurate. The one previously linked to is +or- 1%