Our new favorite rum - There was a mutiny!

  • Pinot Noir
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2009
      Greetings fellow enthusiasts, I thought that I would share a wonderful little recipe for spiced rum, as I sample some right now.

      We started with about 25 pounds sugar, a gallon of molasses, 13 - 14 gallons of water and a package of turbo yeast. (A friend) used a valved reflux still and (they) ran it at 80 - 82C and collected at 77%. (When ran at lower temps and higher proof, they lost the molasses flavor.) For seasoning of two gallons, they used 6-8 cloves, 2 tablespoons ground ginger and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon. Some burnt sugar was added for color and then some heavy toasted oak chips added. After about two weeks the distillate was filtered and diluted to 55%. WOW!

      Thanks to everyone for the information. I hope to add some more recipes as time allows.

      Regards,

      Wine Making Guy