Re: [Distillers] Re: New moonshine...

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
      --- On Tue, 3/3/09, rye_junkie1 <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

      Belmont Farm Distillery
      in Virginia makes an unaged corn whiskey sold as Virginia Lightning,
      and in California, C&C Shine produces another moonshine-style
      spirit called Clear Madness. Co-owner Craig Pakish describes Clear
      Madness as "dayshine, since we pay all the taxes on it," and in a way
      this product clearly derives from the Appalachian tradition: While it's
      produced using primarily corn, the spirit's initial fermentation is
      accelerated by adding cane sugar to the mash, a shortcut that helps
      boost the alcohol content.

      I found that statement interesting. I was always under the impression that Sugar was a No-No in the US commercial distilling LAW.

      =======================

      Not at all...or you'd have a considerable lack of rum :)
      The laws don't stipulate what you can ferment/distill. They're just picky about what you call it when it's done. You can't call your spirit "Bourbon" if you've used sugar in the wash. You might even be prohibited to call it "whiskey" (not 100% on that one) but you can still do it.
      It's more so that the product is named in accordance with what went into it. The key words here are "standards of identity." It's so somebody making a sugar wash can't call it "Bourbon" or that somebody who worked so hard on a good rye recipe isn't shafted by a competitor cutting corners by making it mostly out of corn.
      The law covers what you can call it, not what it's made of.

      Trid
      -nothing on the books defining "Trid Squeezin's" yet :)
    • Zapata Vive
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
        Whikey must be all grain, no sugar.  Although the article calls it corn whiskey, I bet you can't find the word "whikey" on the label.

        ============ ========= ==

        Not at all...or you'd have a considerable lack of rum :)
        The laws don't stipulate what you can ferment/distill. They're just picky about what you call it when it's done. You can't call your spirit "Bourbon" if you've used sugar in the wash. You might even be prohibited to call it "whiskey" (not 100% on that one) but you can still do it.
        It's more so that the product is named in accordance with what went into it. The key words here are "standards of identity." It's so somebody making a sugar wash can't call it "Bourbon" or that somebody who worked so hard on a good rye recipe isn't shafted by a competitor cutting corners by making it mostly out of corn.
        The law covers what you can call it, not what it's made of.

        Trid
        -nothing on the books defining "Trid Squeezin's" yet :)

      • Matthew Rowley
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

          > Whikey must be all grain, no sugar. Although the article calls it
          corn whiskey, I bet you can't find the word "whikey" on the label.

          03/03/09 07:25:00

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
            Some additional information on the Imbibe magazine article -

            Homemade Hooch
            http://tinyurl.com/b7mkdp

            wal

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
              And yet another!

              http://tinyurl.com/c9k8mr

              The subject is really coming out.
              wal

              > Some additional information on the Imbibe magazine article -
              >
              > Homemade Hooch
              > http://tinyurl.com/b7mkdp
              >
              > wal
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, wal <waljaco@> wrote:
              > >
              > > This is an e-mail from (Imbibe Magazine - The Ultimate Drinks Magazine, Exploring Wine, Spirits, Beer, Coffee, Tea and Every Beverage In Between - Imbibe Magazine) sent by wal (waljaco@). You may also find the following link interesting: http://imbibemagazine.com/Modern-Moonshiners-New-Moon-Rising

            • rye_junkie1
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rowley" <moonshinearchives@...> wrote:

                Matthew,
                Either your post didnt go through or you were just agreeing with all that was said.

                Mason