Re: New moonshine...

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, wal <waljaco@...> wrote:

      > This is an e-mail from (Imbibe Magazine - The Ultimate Drinks
      Magazine, Exploring Wine, Spirits, Beer, Coffee, Tea and Every Beverage
      In Between - Imbibe Magazine) sent by wal (waljaco@...). You may also
      find the following link interesting: http://imbibemagazine.com/Modern-
      Moonshiners-New-Moon-Rising

      Aye, recognition. Wonder where they gleaned their info & expertise
      from? NM, so long as it furthers the cause.

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, wal waljaco@ wrote:
        > >
        > > This is an e-mail from (Imbibe Magazine - The Ultimate Drinks
        > Magazine, Exploring Wine, Spirits, Beer, Coffee, Tea and Every Beverage
        > In Between - Imbibe Magazine) sent by wal (waljaco@). You may also
        > find the following link interesting: http://imbibemagazine.com/Modern-
        > Moonshiners-New-Moon-Rising
        > >

        > Aye, recognition. Wonder where they gleaned their info & expertise
        > from? NM, so long as it furthers the cause.
        >
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Belmont Farm Distillery in Virginia makes an unaged corn whiskey sold as Virginia Lightning, and in California, C&C Shine produces another moonshine-style spirit called Clear Madness. Co-owner Craig Pakish describes Clear Madness as "dayshine, since we pay all the taxes on it," and in a way this product clearly derives from the Appalachian tradition: While it's produced using primarily corn, the spirit's initial fermentation is accelerated by adding cane sugar to the mash, a shortcut that helps boost the alcohol content.

        I found that statement interesting.  I was always under the impression that Sugar was a No-No
        in the US commercial distilling LAW.  I still think its one of the most underrated ingredients out there.  3X sugar shine is a good Dram when the day is done.

        Mason
      • Trid
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
          --- On Tue, 3/3/09, rye_junkie1 <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

          Belmont Farm Distillery
          in Virginia makes an unaged corn whiskey sold as Virginia Lightning,
          and in California, C&C Shine produces another moonshine-style
          spirit called Clear Madness. Co-owner Craig Pakish describes Clear
          Madness as "dayshine, since we pay all the taxes on it," and in a way
          this product clearly derives from the Appalachian tradition: While it's
          produced using primarily corn, the spirit's initial fermentation is
          accelerated by adding cane sugar to the mash, a shortcut that helps
          boost the alcohol content.

          I found that statement interesting. I was always under the impression that Sugar was a No-No in the US commercial distilling LAW.

          =======================

          Not at all...or you'd have a considerable lack of rum :)
          The laws don't stipulate what you can ferment/distill. They're just picky about what you call it when it's done. You can't call your spirit "Bourbon" if you've used sugar in the wash. You might even be prohibited to call it "whiskey" (not 100% on that one) but you can still do it.
          It's more so that the product is named in accordance with what went into it. The key words here are "standards of identity." It's so somebody making a sugar wash can't call it "Bourbon" or that somebody who worked so hard on a good rye recipe isn't shafted by a competitor cutting corners by making it mostly out of corn.
          The law covers what you can call it, not what it's made of.

          Trid
          -nothing on the books defining "Trid Squeezin's" yet :)
        • Zapata Vive
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
            Whikey must be all grain, no sugar.  Although the article calls it corn whiskey, I bet you can't find the word "whikey" on the label.

            ============ ========= ==

            Not at all...or you'd have a considerable lack of rum :)
            The laws don't stipulate what you can ferment/distill. They're just picky about what you call it when it's done. You can't call your spirit "Bourbon" if you've used sugar in the wash. You might even be prohibited to call it "whiskey" (not 100% on that one) but you can still do it.
            It's more so that the product is named in accordance with what went into it. The key words here are "standards of identity." It's so somebody making a sugar wash can't call it "Bourbon" or that somebody who worked so hard on a good rye recipe isn't shafted by a competitor cutting corners by making it mostly out of corn.
            The law covers what you can call it, not what it's made of.

            Trid
            -nothing on the books defining "Trid Squeezin's" yet :)

          • Matthew Rowley
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

              > Whikey must be all grain, no sugar. Although the article calls it
              corn whiskey, I bet you can't find the word "whikey" on the label.

              03/03/09 07:25:00

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                Some additional information on the Imbibe magazine article -

                Homemade Hooch
                http://tinyurl.com/b7mkdp

                wal

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                  And yet another!

                  http://tinyurl.com/c9k8mr

                  The subject is really coming out.
                  wal

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rowley" <moonshinearchives@...> wrote:

                    Matthew,
                    Either your post didnt go through or you were just agreeing with all that was said.

                    Mason