Alcohol refractometer

  • deddkatt
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
      Ian Smiley in his book "Making pure corn whiskey" mentions using an
      alcohol refractometer during distillation runs. I've yet to find one
      on the internet that measures more than ~21% alcohol. Anyone know of
      one that can measure up to ~90%? And hopefully doesn't cost an arm and
      a leg?

      If this is a pipe dream, let me know that also.

      Thanks!
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
        Try http://www.homebrewheaven.com/
        and then :
        StoreFront/Distillation Supplies & Alcohol Flavorings/Alcoholometer
        11.95 USD, and I use mine all the time, mostly in my parrot's beak.

        You'll also need a *glass* cylinder for it; strong booze dissoves plastic.
        Same site, at:

        Distillation Supplies & Alcohol Flavorings/(Glass) Alcoholometer Test Jar

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: grexson@...
        Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 03:31:58 +0000
        Subject: [Distillers] Alcohol refractometer

        Ian Smiley in his book "Making pure corn whiskey" mentions using an
        alcohol refractometer during distillation runs. I've yet to find one
        on the internet that measures more than ~21% alcohol. Anyone know of
        one that can measure up to ~90%? And hopefully doesn't cost an arm and
        a leg?

        If this is a pipe dream, let me know that also.

        Thanks!

        Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.
      • Zapata Vive
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
          pretty sure he meant a refractometer.  One of those things you put a few drops in and look through the lens.  Requires a much smaller sample than a hydrometer.

          For some reason homebrewheaven doesn't seem to have one (I don't think they do, but I've never appreciated that site).

          And regarding Smiley, so far as I can tell, your standard homebrew refractometer will NOT work for distilled spirits.  There are refractometers to measure high alcohol %, but I haven't seen one less than a couple hundred, and they specifically state ethanol and water ONLY, no congeners.  The ones for homebrew/wine are calibrated to measure brix.  AKA sugar.  Guess how much sugar is in 40% whiskey?  The same amount thats in 80% white dog, aka, none.  (well, some may be picked up by oak etc, but practically none)

          Of course there is probably some very complicated way to convert the brix reading that a wine refractometer gives you into ABV, but I've not seen it.  In fact, the only way I've ever seen to use a refractometer to measure abv involves the use of BOTH a refractometer AND a hydrometer.  In which case why not just use a liquor scale hydrometer?

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2009
            Strange. I don't find a refractometer there either. They used to have
            them, and that's where I bought mine.

            I appreciate then because they are close to me.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: zapatavive@...
            Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 23:16:53 -0500

            pretty sure he meant a refractometer.  One of those things you put a few drops in and look through the lens.  Requires a much smaller sample than a hydrometer.

            For some reason homebrewheaven doesn't seem to have one (I don't think they do, but I've never appreciated that site).

            Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.