Re: Vapour loss from large shotgun condensor/condenser.

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi, folks, harisaki,

      Re Harry's comment

      "However as it's fitted to a potstill, you better not have
      > a 'puke', or you may block the whole shebang."

      You may find New Distillers message 34142 and 34143 interesting.

      Regards,

      The Baker

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004" <ledaswan@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Crew,
      > > on my POT still I have built myself a large shotgun to replace the
      > > leibig condenser.
      > >
      > > It has 17 x 13mm tubes of 225 mm long fed by a 11 litre per minute
      > > water flow. This will pull out 9 kW of energy, ie the water
      > > temperature increase and flow calculate to be 9 kWs.
      > >
      > > However I have noticed during heating up phase from about 60C and
      > > before the run really starts a steady stream of "fog" emanating
      from
      > > the condenser with the occasional drip. The coolant temp is about
      > 25C.
      > >
      > > A few of questions.
      > > Is there a laminar flow issue with 13mm tubes? Does this condenser
      > > require more turbulence? How to reduce the amount of fog?
      > >
      > > best regards
      > > Hari.
      > >

      > It's moisture condensing out of the air that's inside the system.
      > The air gets purged as the potstill system (cap, riser &/or lynearm
      &
      > condenser) gets filled with assorted vapors from the boil. Some of
      > that moisture-laden air will obviously strike the cooling surfaces
      > and condense. Taste the drips. You'll find it tastes like a
      copper
      > penny, not like alcohol.
      >
      > As for your worries about laminar flow, yes you could improve your
      > shotgun's performance by adding LOOSELY teased mesh inside the 13mm
      > tubes. However as it's fitted to a potstill, you better not have
      > a 'puke', or you may block the whole shebang.
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

    • harisaki2004
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004" <ledaswan@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Crew,
        > > on my POT still I have built myself a large shotgun to replace the
        > > leibig condenser.
        > >

        > > A few of questions.
        > > Is there a laminar flow issue with 13mm tubes? Does this condenser
        > > require more turbulence? How to reduce the amount of fog?
        > >
        > > best regards
        > > Hari.
        > >

        > It's moisture condensing out of the air that's inside the system.
        > The air gets purged as the potstill system (cap, riser &/or lynearm &
        > condenser) gets filled with assorted vapors from the boil. Some of
        > that moisture-laden air will obviously strike the cooling surfaces
        > and condense. Taste the drips. You'll find it tastes like a copper
        > penny, not like alcohol.
        >
        > As for your worries about laminar flow, yes you could improve your
        > shotgun's performance by adding LOOSELY teased mesh inside the 13mm
        > tubes. However as it's fitted to a potstill, you better not have
        > a 'puke', or you may block the whole shebang.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Harry, thanks for the quick reply, your answer re the condensate may
        be true, and I will test this next run. However during the run the fog
        continues even when the rate of condensate is low at 100mL per minute.

        Luckily little chance of "puke" due to distilling wine, not solids.
        Thanks Baker.

        I will try some mesh and see what happens.

        regards
        Hari.
      • burrows206
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
          Hi Harisaki,
          Purely on a hunch I typed into Google "cavitations' in dense
          vapour" and came up with this link
          http://tiny.cc/U49WB
          Its way out of my league but they seem to be talking about small
          clouds forming. In your post you described this as fog. This is
          maybe a dead end but them (mods) what knows about these things can
          explain debunk it for me. There you go Harry get your teeth into
          that. You know you love it
          Geoff