Vapour loss from large shotgun condensor/condenser.

  • harisaki2004
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi Crew,
      on my POT still I have built myself a large shotgun to replace the
      leibig condenser.

      It has 17 x 13mm tubes of 225 mm long fed by a 11 litre per minute
      water flow. This will pull out 9 kW of energy, ie the water
      temperature increase and flow calculate to be 9 kWs.

      However I have noticed during heating up phase from about 60C and
      before the run really starts a steady stream of "fog" emanating from
      the condenser with the occasional drip. The coolant temp is about 25C.

      A few of questions.
      Is there a laminar flow issue with 13mm tubes? Does this condenser
      require more turbulence? How to reduce the amount of fog?

      best regards
      Hari.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004" <ledaswan@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Crew,
        > on my POT still I have built myself a large shotgun to replace the
        > leibig condenser.
        >
        > It has 17 x 13mm tubes of 225 mm long fed by a 11 litre per minute
        > water flow. This will pull out 9 kW of energy, ie the water
        > temperature increase and flow calculate to be 9 kWs.
        >
        > However I have noticed during heating up phase from about 60C and
        > before the run really starts a steady stream of "fog" emanating from
        > the condenser with the occasional drip. The coolant temp is about
        25C.

        > A few of questions.
        > Is there a laminar flow issue with 13mm tubes? Does this condenser
        > require more turbulence? How to reduce the amount of fog?
        >
        > best regards
        > Hari.

        It's moisture condensing out of the air that's inside the system.
        The air gets purged as the potstill system (cap, riser &/or lynearm &
        condenser) gets filled with assorted vapors from the boil. Some of
        that moisture-laden air will obviously strike the cooling surfaces
        and condense. Taste the drips. You'll find it tastes like a copper
        penny, not like alcohol.

        As for your worries about laminar flow, yes you could improve your
        shotgun's performance by adding LOOSELY teased mesh inside the 13mm
        tubes. However as it's fitted to a potstill, you better not have
        a 'puke', or you may block the whole shebang.

      • gff_stwrt
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
          Hi, folks, harisaki,

          Re Harry's comment

          "However as it's fitted to a potstill, you better not have
          > a 'puke', or you may block the whole shebang."

          You may find New Distillers message 34142 and 34143 interesting.

          Regards,

          The Baker

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004" <ledaswan@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Crew,
          > > on my POT still I have built myself a large shotgun to replace the
          > > leibig condenser.
          > >
          > > It has 17 x 13mm tubes of 225 mm long fed by a 11 litre per minute
          > > water flow. This will pull out 9 kW of energy, ie the water
          > > temperature increase and flow calculate to be 9 kWs.
          > >
          > > However I have noticed during heating up phase from about 60C and
          > > before the run really starts a steady stream of "fog" emanating
          from
          > > the condenser with the occasional drip. The coolant temp is about
          > 25C.
          > >
          > > A few of questions.
          > > Is there a laminar flow issue with 13mm tubes? Does this condenser
          > > require more turbulence? How to reduce the amount of fog?
          > >
          > > best regards
          > > Hari.
          > >

          > It's moisture condensing out of the air that's inside the system.
          > The air gets purged as the potstill system (cap, riser &/or lynearm
          &
          > condenser) gets filled with assorted vapors from the boil. Some of
          > that moisture-laden air will obviously strike the cooling surfaces
          > and condense. Taste the drips. You'll find it tastes like a
          copper
          > penny, not like alcohol.
          >
          > As for your worries about laminar flow, yes you could improve your
          > shotgun's performance by adding LOOSELY teased mesh inside the 13mm
          > tubes. However as it's fitted to a potstill, you better not have
          > a 'puke', or you may block the whole shebang.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • harisaki2004
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004" <ledaswan@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Crew,
            > > on my POT still I have built myself a large shotgun to replace the
            > > leibig condenser.
            > >

            > > A few of questions.
            > > Is there a laminar flow issue with 13mm tubes? Does this condenser
            > > require more turbulence? How to reduce the amount of fog?
            > >
            > > best regards
            > > Hari.
            > >

            > It's moisture condensing out of the air that's inside the system.
            > The air gets purged as the potstill system (cap, riser &/or lynearm &
            > condenser) gets filled with assorted vapors from the boil. Some of
            > that moisture-laden air will obviously strike the cooling surfaces
            > and condense. Taste the drips. You'll find it tastes like a copper
            > penny, not like alcohol.
            >
            > As for your worries about laminar flow, yes you could improve your
            > shotgun's performance by adding LOOSELY teased mesh inside the 13mm
            > tubes. However as it's fitted to a potstill, you better not have
            > a 'puke', or you may block the whole shebang.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Harry, thanks for the quick reply, your answer re the condensate may
            be true, and I will test this next run. However during the run the fog
            continues even when the rate of condensate is low at 100mL per minute.

            Luckily little chance of "puke" due to distilling wine, not solids.
            Thanks Baker.

            I will try some mesh and see what happens.

            regards
            Hari.
          • burrows206
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
              Hi Harisaki,
              Purely on a hunch I typed into Google "cavitations' in dense
              vapour" and came up with this link
              http://tiny.cc/U49WB
              Its way out of my league but they seem to be talking about small
              clouds forming. In your post you described this as fog. This is
              maybe a dead end but them (mods) what knows about these things can
              explain debunk it for me. There you go Harry get your teeth into
              that. You know you love it
              Geoff