Re: Reflux

  • bbornais
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2009
      Let pint-o-shine be your guide.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...>
      wrote:

      > Blueflame here--
      > am quite interested in your controller--can u give me more
      information on it and where it can be purchased---Are you using 110
      or 220 v. to run your element--
      > Your brother in the spirits
      > Blueflame 456

      Dextrose

      > and 3kg Sugar. This is brewed with Heat Wave yeast. Each 57 litre
      is

      > stripped giving 17 litres (34 litres total) for the 2nd
      distillation.

      > The still is 60 litre S/S with a column of 1.15 metres x 50mm S/S
      non

      > packed for stripping and for the 2nd distillation a 1.95 mitre x
      50mm

      > S/S column packed with Structured Pure Copper Mesh Column Packing
      >
      > with a gap of 100mm from the return pipe from the offset head to
      the

      > top of the packing.
      >
      > The still is heated by a 2400 watt element controlled by a Helios
      SSR

      > controller which allows me to strip at 100% and then on the 2nd
      >
      > distillation turn power down to 30%. I reflux normally between 30
      â€"

      > 50% heat settings. My 2nd distillation gives me an output of
      between

      > 13 and 14 litres at 94/95%. I re-distil any distillation below 93%.
      >
      > In the past things have gone well with output of 95% for 13 litres
      >
      > with top of column temps reducing from 80at start to as low as 76
      >
      > during distillation. I am at a loss as to why I could not get the
      top

      > of column temp below 86. To my knowledge I did not deviate from
      >
      > normal procedures.

    • alaray_992000
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 11, 2009
        My problem has been resolved.
        After checking all equipment it was found that the digital thermometer must have received a knock and whilst appearing to be operating correctly was actually giving incorrect temperatures.
        It has now been re-calibrated and worked perfectly on the last just finished distillation.
        Thanks for your assistance.
        Alan Carson

> [...]
        > is
        > > stripped giving 17 litres (34 litres total) for the 2nd
        > distillation.
        > > The still is 60 litre S/S with a column of 1.15 metres x 50mm S/S
        > non
        > > packed for stripping and for the 2nd distillation a 1.95 mitre x
        > 50mm
        > > S/S column packed with Structured Pure Copper Mesh Column Packing
        > > with a gap of 100mm from the return pipe from the offset head to
        > the
        > > top of the packing.
        > > The still is heated by a 2400 watt element controlled by a Helios
        > SSR
        > > controller which allows me to strip at 100% and then on the 2nd
        > > distillation turn power down to 30%. I reflux normally between 30 –
        > > 50% heat settings. My 2nd distillation gives me an output of
        > between
        > > 13 and 14 litres at 94/95%. I re-distil any distillation below 93%.
        > > In the past things have gone well with output of 95% for 13 litres
        > > with top of column temps reducing from 80at start to as low as 76
        > > during distillation. I am at a loss as to why I could not get the
        > top
        > > of column temp below 86. To my knowledge I did not deviate from
        > > normal procedures.
        > >

        > Sounds like you're doing everything right. Looking for
        > possibilities...
        >
        > The temp at the top of the packed column is an indication of the
        > ratio of [ethanol : water] vapours passing the probe. At 86°C
        > measured, it's somewhere around 75% ethanol to 25% water (assuming a
        > binary mix for simplicity. It's not, as there are minute amounts of
        > other substances involved, but I digress...).
        >
        > Now this is fine for a flavoured spirit (e.g whisk(e)y or rum) but
        > not good enough for GNS or vodka. And it's certainly not good enough
        > for a packed-column reflux run.
        >
        > To increase purity (therefore separation) in a 50mm Ø you need to:
        > A. Increase the coolant flow
        > B. Decrease the product takeoff
        > C. decrease the energy input
        >
        > A combination of A & B will increase the reflux ratio, thereby
        > improving separation. 'C' is necessary if you are overdriving the
        > still, creating more vapour than the still column was designed to
        > handle.
        >

        > It's entirely possible that your controller has developed a fault and
        > you may be applying more power than you think. I find it suspicious
        > that in previous runs the temp was dropping below the BP of ethanol.
        > This indicates either a LOT of heads or not enough power being
        > applied to maintain the boil. From your above description of the run
        > in question, I'd be checking the accuracy of the controller with a
        > multimeter. Some of them are not designed for continuous duty cycle.
        >
        > Also check the coolant system for correct operation. There may be a
        > blockage of some sort restricting flow and upsetting reflux ratio.

      • edbar44
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 30, 2011
          OK,I've been in the hobby for three years now and have had difficulty reaching that magic 96%

          Yesterday I did a run from wash (don't strip anymore)and when I purchased this sight glass I thought it would be a good idea to put a small piece of copper screen in the opening beneath the sight glass, kind of thought it might heat up and boil the falling reflux product, never did anything but I still used the screen. I put the wrong piece of screen in the boiler opening (smaller holes) but didn't notice. After the still came up to temperature, I observed the process as per this attached video. Guess what 96% complete, no problem. I'm thinking this is acting like sort of a preboiler/thumper/plate configuration. As you can see, the product that is falling cannot get back into the boiler and the boiling product is coming up through the product that is "stuck" in the throat of the boiler and apparently redistilling it.

          I'm sure the guru's on here will figure it out and maybe even expand on the idea. Thoughts and comments are certainly welcome.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KT609xdwwI