RE: [Distillers] Smokey Peat Flavour

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2002
      Noel,

      > Some time ago on the homedistillers site I read about making a Smokey
      Peat
      > flavouring essence made by heating peat in an enclosed can etc., Could
      you
      > tell me if I've bought the right stuff, as what I've bought is called
      peat
      > moss over here in OZ. Is it the same stuff?

      Sounds like the same stuff ...

      http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/plants/bryophyta/sphagnointro.html

      http://www.msmedia.com.au/Science/MossL.htm
      Peat moss . (a) The plants which, when decomposed, become peat. (b) A fen
      producing peat. (c) (Bot.) Moss of the genus Sphagnum, which often grows
      abundantly in boggy or peaty places. -
      Peat reek , the reek or smoke of peat; hence, also, the peculiar flavor
      given to whisky by being distilled with peat as fuel. [Scot.]

      Tony