An idea for all grain beer brewers

  • Zapata Vive
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2009
      So I had this idea, and will try it out soon, but thought I'd throw it out there to get some feedback, or maybe someone has already done it.  Basically, I was thinking of using the spent malt from a beer mash to add to, and hopefully convert a whiskey mash.

      My basic idea is to make beer like I usually do which is the batch sparging method.  Mix crushed malt with strike water, rest for conversion, add a small infusion of water, quickly drain the wort, add sparge water, stir and quickly drain off the wort.  I would then add the "spent" malt to gelatinized grains, probably corn, and hold at conversion temperture before diluting to desired gravity and fermenting on the grain.

      I think procedurally this would fit in nicely with a brew day, using the waiting time while brewing to make the whiskey mash and vice versa.  Also, it would clearly recover any sugars typically thrown out in the malt (which aren't much, but still some), and I imagine capture a good bit of their flavor.

      I really don't have any idea how much enzymatic activity is left in the malt though, so I really haven't decided how much corn to add.  Maybe I'll do about equal weights of corn:malt.  If it doesn't convert, I can always add some fresh malt.  But if anybody has any idea of the diastatic power left after sparging malted barley, please share!