Re: Being banished

  • noelwatson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24 8:04 PM
      Ok Ok Ok,
      I suppose I'd better 'fess up ....I wrote to Tony this AM as follows

      G'day Tony,
      Sorry for contacting you direct without posting to the group, but I've just
      had a bit of an embarrassing explosion in the kitchen whilst trying to
      produce a smokey peat flavouring.
      I put a handful of peat in an un-used tin, put the lid on (to capture the
      smoke), put the kitchen timer on 15 minutes (as per the post on the home
      distillers site) and lit the gas.
      Three minutes later there was an almighty bang as the lid and the peat hit
      the roof. The missus is a bit peeved with the peat all over everything, so
      all experiments have been banished to the shed.
      Apart from maybe putting the lid on too well, can you give me a clue as to
      where I went wrong?
      Regards,
      Noel Watson

      As a postscript a few things have happened since:
      The missus asked me if I wanted "peat and ham" soup for dinner and
      as I've been banished I'm allowed to expand the "brewery" from a 12 x 8 feet
      building to a 20 x 8 feet building . Whoopee!
      I suppose I ought to ask the group if they were allowed to expand, what
      would they include in the expansion.
      Noel
    • cornfed62
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24 8:08 PM
        I constructed a drain for my wash to keep it away from drain tiles
        and the like. I drilled a 24 inch diameter hole 6 feet deep and
        lined it with a 18 inch diameter perferated plastic drainage tile.
        Then I back filled the hole around the tile with pea gravel. I put a
        iron cap over the hole, covered it with dirt and and planted
        flowers! I ran my garage floor drain into this and just dump my wash
        down it now. You could also just fill the hole with pea gravel.

        --- In Distillers@y..., noelwatson <noelwatson@u...> wrote:
        > Ok Ok Ok,
        > I suppose I'd better 'fess up ....I wrote to Tony this AM as follows
        >
        > G'day Tony,
        > Sorry for contacting you direct without posting to the group, but
        I've just
        > had a bit of an embarrassing explosion in the kitchen whilst trying
        > produce a smokey peat flavouring.
        > I put a handful of peat in an un-used tin, put the lid on (to
        capture the
        > smoke), put the kitchen timer on 15 minutes (as per the post on the
        home
        > distillers site) and lit the gas.
        > Three minutes later there was an almighty bang as the lid and the
        peat hit
        > the roof. The missus is a bit peeved with the peat all over
        everything, so
        > all experiments have been banished to the shed.
        > Apart from maybe putting the lid on too well, can you give me a
        clue as to
        > where I went wrong?
        > Regards,
        > Noel Watson
        >
        > As a postscript a few things have happened since:
        > The missus asked me if I wanted "peat and ham" soup for dinner and
        > as I've been banished I'm allowed to expand the "brewery" from a 12
        x 8 feet
        > building to a 20 x 8 feet building . Whoopee!
        > I suppose I ought to ask the group if they were allowed to expand,
        what
        > would they include in the expansion.
        > Noel
      • moonshiyner
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25 12:47 AM
          G'day all

          I havn't been banished yet,but my wife was reading over my shoulder
          Geoffs comment about dissolving the finish on the table.
          Next came the questions about the dull round marks on her new benchtop
          right where I work with my brews.

          Thanks heaps guys LOL
          Doug
        • D. C.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 25 12:47 PM
            << . . . as I've been banished I'm allowed to expand the "brewery" from a 12
            x 8 feet building to a 20 x 8 feet building . Whoopee! I suppose I ought to
            ask the group if they were allowed to expand, what would they include in the
            expansion. >>

            Well, there are just so many things a humble distiller could ask for, but if
            I have to narrow them down, my list would look something like this:

            1 reflux/fractioning vapor managed still -- for really pure spirit

            1 pot still -- for the flavorful brews

            Enough room for at least 5 - 5 US gal. carboys filled with different
            "projects"

            Large counter area

            2 large wash basins

            Running water with better water pressure that what we get now

            Good clean running drain

            Storage space for all of my equipment, and all of my bottled "projects"

            240W and 110W power supply with really good accident prevention

            At least two fire extinguishers and at least 1 fire blanket

            and the list runs on . . .

            Your Brother in Spirit,
            Rev. David M. Cunningham
            distiller@...

            NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
            intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
            which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
            otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
            transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
            forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
            telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.