Re: [Distillers] Being banished ..

  • Geoff Redman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2002
      Tony,

      Don't tell me you've been banished from your kitchen?

      I'm not banished yet, but I'm getting close.  Tension has arisen on several occasions.  Like when a tub of heated beer discoloured the linoleum.  Or when I spilled some 80%+ on the table and dissolved the finish.  Or when I smoked everyone out of the house on a cold winter's day by charring some oak on the stove-top.  Or the time I...

      Well, at least I keep a fire extinguisher close at hand.

      geoff

      "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" wrote:

       Its a slow day on the group today, so I'll toss an idle question out there ...

         Is it inevitable that all brewers/distillers eventually
         get banished from using the kitchen for their experiments ?

      It seems that eventually something is going to boil over / burn / smoke heaps / explode / spill / break / ferment too wildly ...  It seems like a case of "when", not "if"

      Tony

    • D. C.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2002
        << Is it inevitable that all brewers/distillers eventually get banished from
        using the kitchen for their experiments ? >>

        Well, I'm not allowed to ferment my spirits in the kitchen, as it supposedly
        takes up too much valuable counter space. Supposedly there isn't enough room
        to cook meals, wash dishes, and other "kitchen-type-things." I tried to
        point out how much work is then being saved by not being able to do these
        things, but my ingenious view was met with a menacing look. So my
        fermentation has found a happy residence in our bedroom (well, happy for me,
        but then again I have come to love the smell of fermenting brew).

        When it comes to running the still, I'm still free and clear to run it in
        the kitchen. Mine is a small stove top modified-pressure cooker pot still,
        used to do small alcohol batches and to distill essential oils. But, I have
        a feeling when my new project (which should be under way in about a week or
        two) comes together, I'll again have to find a new place.

        My new project it to try my hand at a vapor managed reflux/fractioning still
        made from a 5 US gal. Cornelius soda keg. This will have 2 1500W elements
        (two for fast boil, then one for the run). I've not decided on the column
        and condenser specs yet, as I'll have to see how my financial situation is
        at the time. I have decided, however, that I will probable use a "gloved
        cold finger" as the reflux condenser, and a Liebig for the distillate
        condenser.

        The still may be too large for our kitchen, so that may be the only factor
        as to why I would not be able to use the kitchen. I am trying to toy with
        different column height ideas to allow for me to do runs in the kitchen. The
        Cornelius keg is roughly 66 cm high. I was thinking about putting on either
        a 38 mm or 50 mm diameter (depending on my financial standing at the time)
        about 61 cm high. The reason for the short column length is because the
        reflux condenser will have to sit on top of the column, and I'm not sure how
        long that will be. Also, or ceilings here in our flat are not tall at all,
        so I have to take that into consideration. I was thinking about making the
        gloved cold finger reflux condenser about 30 cm long -- but I don't know if
        this will be long enough to allow for proper cooling, without allowing
        vapors to escape through the top of the reflux column.

        The Liebig condenser will be about 46 cm to 61 cm long. This will depend on
        the actual length really needed to properly cool the distillate. I have been
        playing with Tony's calculators to try to get a good idea of what would be a
        good length.

        Anyway . . . my post is getting too long. I'll wrap it up now. If anyone
        needs graphic to aid in their visualization of my project, just drop a line
        and I'll post some to the list.

        Sorry for writing soooooo much.

        Your Brother in Spirit,
        Rev. David M. Cunningham
        distiller@...

        NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
        intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
        which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
        otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
        transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
        forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
        telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.