Re: Cross flow Build Question

  • mavnkaf
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2009
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...>
      wrote:

      > Question for Marc. What was your reasoning for running the LM
      takeoff
      > from both sides of the condenser? I also noticed you soldered a vent
      > into both sides of the head?
      > I'll post pics when its done and shined up a bit although I have
      > always preferred function over fashion.
      >
      > Mason

      Hi Mason, it's good to hear that things are going well. The reason I
      added the other LM take off tube was to make sure both sides of the
      condenser was draining freely, so no pooling in the condenser. I
      could say I was concerned that if there was any pooling, it may take
      longer to make the hearts cut because the pooled heads maybe
      contaminating the hearts/neutral spirit until its cleared? I might
      be right or wrong, either way I enjoyed adding it and I think it
      works a little better, thats what I keep telling my self:)

      I made two vents because I thought it would make it more balanced?
      Back then I was pretty much new here, did'nt know better until Harry
      told me one vent is sufficient as the only time anything is coming
      out of the vent is when the air is being purged from the colunm when
      the still starts to boil or if the condenser is over powered. So one
      vent is fine. Next time I make a cross flow condenser I'll have a go
      at Stevolate's cross flow condenser design.

      http://tinyurl.com/d5rsqy

      Cheers
      Marc