Re: Rum and Dunder

  • castillo.alex2008
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hi ZP

      The patent you say is by Arroyo a Puerto Rican rum maker. It is at
      Harry´s site. There are many different ways in which rum is made but
      remember that he also used cultures of bacteria that many of us will
      hardly get. According to my experience the flavors come in
      approximate these percents:

      10% the material you use (cane juice, molasses, sugar)

      10 - 20% the strain of yeast you use (I think this after trying
      Danstil EDV 493, worth a try, expensive but worths every penny)

      80 - 70% Aging (the kind of oak you use american or french, the
      degree of toast, time, etc.)

      and additional 10 percent could be subtracted from the one asigned to
      aging if using and relying in spices (cinnammon, cloves, etc.) for
      the "notes" you get in some rums as hot (pepper, cinnamon), citrus
      (coriander, lemongrass), etc.

      Finally it results more in an art of combining all the above factors,
      so you cannot say a given rum is better than other in all aspects.
      There are lots of combinations. Plenty to choose from. I like that!

      Alex

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>
      wrote:

      > I don't know rum, so I won't pretend to. But in several things
      I've read, including the Aroya patent (or whoever he was), rum
      specific flavor comes in the tails after the nasties. I think that
      it goes something like, 1. do a strip run. 2. start your spirit
      run. Cut out the heads, switch to heart, make your tails cut, but
      keep collecting. I think that once the tails are down to about 30%
      you start collecting again.

      > Like I said, I don't know, just what I've heard and kept in mind
      for when I do start a rum. Maybe the lack of rum flavor is from not
      enough molasses, combined with not catching those late tails. I
      dunno, but might be something you want to research.

      today with 1/3 Molasses, 1/3 sugar, 1/3 water. When it come to
      distillation, I'll put in 2 gals Dunder.

      > Re your comment on your PS2, I have 6'-8" x 2.5" dia copper tube
      outside just dying to be turned into something.......