RE: [Distillers] malolactic fermentation - WAS: Re: Spinning out a mash

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
      Jim and Derek.

      Since Homebrew Heaven generates dynamic HTML pages, I
      can't give you a link that works, but here is the text for 1 of
      the 2 malolactic cultures.

      http://store.homebrewheaven.com/

      "Malolactic Culture (Dry)
      Convenient to use, sufficient for 10gallons as is, up to 50 gallons if you make a culture. 2 gram pkg. A blend of 4 separate strains of malolactic bacteria. Click to see usage instructions.".....$13.95!!!!! (my exclamation points)"

      and the other one is from Wyeast, from the slopes of *my mountain*:

      "
      Wyeast #4007 Malo Lactic Blend (Liquid Culture)
      Malolactic culture blend isolated from western Oregon wineries. Can be added to juice any time after the onset of yeast fermentation when sulfur dioxide is less than 15 ppm. Use at temperatures greater than 55 deg F." and it says further: " Malo-lactic Culture packages contain a live liquid suspension of Oenococcus oenii grown in a sterile organic juice based nutrient medium. Malic acid reduction will balance and soften wine while enhancing flavor and aroma characteristics including vanilla and buttery notes. 4007 Blend (blend of ER1A and EY2d cultures) will provide rapid and complete malic acid reduction in wine over a broad spectrum of conditions. ER1A, an excellent choice for red wines, has been isolated for it’s tolerance to low pH coditions. Ey2D has been selected for it tolerance to low cellar temperatures. Malo-lactic conversion is generally completed within 1-3 months."...$7.00

      Derek, you sure got that expensive part right, but for a 5-gallon experiment, that & bucks might not be too bad.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: derekhamlet@...
      Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:57:13 -0800
      Subject: Re: [Distillers] malolactic fermentation - WAS: Re: Spinning out a mash

      At 11:06 AM 2/2/2009, you wrote:

      >Hey ZB,
      >
      >Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) is what causes malolactic fermentation
      >(MLF) in fruits that contain malic acid - apples and grapes being
      >the most notable ones, and is found in decomposing plants and
      >lactic products (ie. milk). This is why every now and then I was
      >getting a malolactic fermentation occuring in my secondary
      >fermenters which were old 1 gallon plastic milk containers (that i
      >must not have cleaned out too well hehe). Your idea of using
      >Lactobacillus bulgaricus is a good one since it is a strain of LAB:

      Malolactic fermentation in wines is usually done to facilitate a
      softer rounder mouthfeel in some red wines.
      Cab. Sauv. and Merlot are classic examples. Most folks would try and
      avoid malolactic fermentation with say a Zinfandel for example.
      Most of us buy a special culture (quite expensive) make a good
      starter and then innoculate our reds after the primary fermentation
      is finished.
      Malolactic can take as little as a month or as long as three
      months. It is important to keep the temperature between approx.
      68-72 degrees F.
      Here's the crunch for the home winemaker.
      Once you've used malolactic bacteria there is a very good chance that
      it will hang around in your wineroom and get into future batches
      whether you want it or not. In France in some of the caves where
      they age their wine, they tell me that the malolactic hangs in the
      corners like cobwebs.
      For this reason when I make whites (not often) I clean my secondaries
      very carefully and then do all the various steps outside right down
      to bottling.
      I then store them with reds and whatnot.
      I have no idea if I've ever gotten malolactic into a wash intended
      for distilling.

      Derek

    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
        Hi again ZB and Derek,

        Your right!! - that stuff is expensive... Think im going to keep
        experimenting with the sour milk approach lol. And yes Derek, some
        wine makers actually encourage MLF in their fermentations. I think from
        my experience, it works fantastic in apple wines and some of the lactic
        acid flavors should come across in a Calvados distillation. Going to
        try it this summer.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        Note ZB: I have seen lactic acid sold in some wine making supply stores
        - maybe just adding that to a sour mash might work also???

> [...]
        >
        > months. It is important to keep the temperature between approx.
        >
        > 68-72 degrees F.
        >
        > Here's the crunch for the home winemaker.
        >
        > Once you've used malolactic bacteria there is a very good chance that
        >
        > it will hang around in your wineroom and get into future batches
        >
        > whether you want it or not. In France in some of the caves where
        >
        > they age their wine, they tell me that the malolactic hangs in the
        >
        > corners like cobwebs.
        >
        > For this reason when I make whites (not often) I clean my secondaries
        >
        > very carefully and then do all the various steps outside right down
        >
        > to bottling.
        >
        > I then store them with reds and whatnot.
        >
        > I have no idea if I've ever gotten malolactic into a wash intended
        >
        > for distilling.
        >

        > Derek

        > Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.

        http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_012009

      • Vini
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
          Fall 2007 i made my first calvados from 300-400 kg of apple which I
          pressed to 250 liter apple juice or so. After the alcohol fermentation
          to about 4,5% alcohol it nearly cleared but then started to ferment
          again. A qualified guess is that this was the malolactic fermentation.
          The temp in the room was going up and that's how wine producers
          sometimes induce the ML fermentaion. The ML bacterias are already
          there but seems to prefer the raised temp.

          All red wine undergo this process and a lot of white wine as well. It
          reduces the perceived acidity in the wine since the malic acid is felt
          more sour than the malic acid.

          In Pays de Auge (where the best calvados is made) they let the apple
          juice ferment and and is kept on its lees for several months to
          achieve the right taste to the final product. During this time it
          undergoes a ML fermentation.

          /Vini

        • Zapata Vive
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
            My initial thoughts were that it shouldn't matter for a distilled beverage as neither lactic nor malic acids are volatile.  But, then I thought about what else the acids do, like form esters with alcohols.  These are usually more volatile, so maybe they would come across.

            Trying to imagine what the taste differences would be.  So I thought I'd compare things like ethyl malate vs. ethyl lactate.  Unfortunately I come up short on the malates.  About all I can find is a list of malates found in some small berry which are believed to be bitter tasting.   Unfortunately I can't find any info on the corresponding lactates.

            In fact, about all I can come up with is that ethyl lactate is "is mild, buttery, creamy, with hints of fruit and coconut." (wikipedia).  Ethyl lactate has a pretty high BP, so I'm not sure much if any of it would come over in the distillate.

            Malolactic fermentation can producer diacetyl (buttered popcorn flavor, sometimes butterscotch like).  Diacetyl's BP is 88*C, so it is likely that it could distill over.

            OK, I'm coming up pretty short.  But I find that lactic acid can form lactones, I recognize that word.  Lactones are found naturally in oak trees and have a flavor similar to whisky, or coconuts, depending on which account you take.  Strange, whiskey isn't very coconut to me.  Seems like most lactones have BP's well in excess of 100*C, so probably little would come over in the distillate.

            So, I didn't find anything that really seems like it would come over in the distillate other than diacetyl.  Maybe this would be ok in a distillate, but I'm not sure.

            I just kinda took notes while doing a bunch of googling, and thought I'd share in case anybody else has any thoughts or wants to take it from there.  I'd be willing to try with a free wash, but fruits and juices are rather expensive, so I think I'll hold off on distilling a malolactic fermentation until we have some idea of what flavors specifically migth come over.  Notes of whiskey, oak, coconut, and butter do sound nice in a cider though, I think I'll definite reserve some of my apple wash for a ML fermentation and save it as a wine...

            From: derekhamlet@ shaw.ca
            Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:57:13 -0800

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
              That is useful info, thanks.  Maybe that's all the recommendation I need to try it with my apple wash, other than the months part, I hate waiting...

> [...]

              > > months. It is important to keep the temperature between approx.
              > >
              > > 68-72 degrees F.
              > >
              > > Here's the crunch for the home winemaker.
              > >
              > > Once you've used malolactic bacteria there is a very good chance that
              > >
              > > it will hang around in your wineroom and get into future batches
              > >
              > > whether you want it or not. In France in some of the caves where
              > >
              > > they age their wine, they tell me that the malolactic hangs in the
              > >
              > > corners like cobwebs.
              > >
              > > For this reason when I make whites (not often) I clean my secondaries
              > >
              > > very carefully and then do all the various steps outside right down
              > >
              > > to bottling.
              > >
              > > I then store them with reds and whatnot.
              > >
              > > I have no idea if I've ever gotten malolactic into a wash intended
              > >
              > > for distilling.
              > >

              > > Derek

              > > Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.

            • gff_stwrt
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                Hi, folks,

                Several times I have made enquiries about obtaining the special yeast
                used for fermenting whey, which I might be able to obtain as a
                byproduct of the operations of my friend's cheese-making operation.

                A lot of vodka is made from whey in New Zealand, I believe.

                It seems I could only obtain a quite small amount and it might cost
                (from an unreliable memory) say $150 or $200 or more.
                Which of course would be fine for an operation set up with its own
                laboratory to culture and store the yeast (kluyveromyces marxianus,
                sometimes known as k. fragilis).

                But, THAT is expensive!

                Regards,

                The Baker

                > Hi again ZB and Derek,
                >
                > Your right!! - that stuff is expensive...

                SNIP

                > Jim aka Waldo.
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@>

                SNIP

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Vini" <wineifera@...> wrote:

                  > Fall 2007 i made my first calvados from 300-400 kg of apple which I
                  > pressed to 250 liter apple juice or so. After the alcohol fermentation
                  > to about 4,5% alcohol it nearly cleared but then started to ferment
                  > again. A qualified guess is that this was the malolactic fermentation.
                  > The temp in the room was going up and that's how wine producers
                  > sometimes induce the ML fermentation. The ML bacterias are already
                  > there but seems to prefer the raised temp.
                  >
                  > All red wine undergo this process and a lot of white wine as well. It
                  > reduces the perceived acidity in the wine since the MALIC acid is felt
                  > more sour than the MALIC acid.

                  Hi, vini,

                  It looks as if the last paragraph has a typo (see my CAPITALS) and
                  since I am interested in your story but am struggling to understand it
                  yet I wonder if you could change the word that is wrong and post it
                  again?

                  Thanks a lot

                  The Baker
                • burrows206
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Hi Baker,
                     I found this on the internet
                     http://www.medicaljournal-ias.org/4_2/Omar.pdf
                    only read a couple of pages and the mind went into information over
                    load (in other words lost track too many big incomprehensible words)
                    thought it might be useful anyway so I'm posting it
                    Geoff
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, folks,
                    >
                    > Several times I have made enquiries about obtaining the special yeast
                    > used for fermenting whey, which I might be able to obtain as a
                    > byproduct of the operations of my friend's cheese-making operation.
                    >
                    > A lot of vodka is made from whey in New Zealand, I believe.
                    >
                    > It seems I could only obtain a quite small amount and it might cost
                    > (from an unreliable memory) say $150 or $200 or more.
                    > Which of course would be fine for an operation set up with its own
                    > laboratory to culture and store the yeast (kluyveromyces marxianus,
                    > sometimes known as k. fragilis).
                    >
                    > But, THAT is expensive!
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > The Baker

                  • jamesonbeam1
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                      Hi Baker,

                      Believe Vini ment to say: " It reduces the perceived acidity in the wine
                      sinc the MALIC acid is felt more sour then the LACTIC acid."

                      A malolactic fermentation (MLF) transforms malic acid through lactic
                      acid bacteria (LAB) into Lacitc acid, a much smoother, less bitter acid.

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim aka Waldo.

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Vini" wineifera@ wrote:

                      > > All red wine undergo this process and a lot of white wine as well.
                      It
                      > > reduces the perceived acidity in the wine since the MALIC acid is
                      felt
                      > > more sour than the MALIC acid.
                      > >
                      > Hi, vini,
                      >
                      > It looks as if the last paragraph has a typo (see my CAPITALS) and
                      > since I am interested in your story but am struggling to understand it
                      > yet I wonder if you could change the word that is wrong and post it
                      > again?
                      >
                      > Thanks a lot
                      >
                      > The Baker

                    • KM Services
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009

                        Yes Baker,

                        Fonterra in New Zealand produce fuel and drinkable ethanol from whey which is used in a variety of products    see this link : http://energy.massey.ac.nz/Conference%202006/Ethanol%20from%20Whey%20-%20A%20Gibson.pdf

                        Cheers

                        Ken Mc

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                          I now see I made this post without too much proofreading (actually due
                          to a glass or two of some slightly over oaked calvados - but with
                          aeration for six months I hope it will marry well).

                          Anyway, it should of course be:
                          Malic acid is felt more acid than lactic acid.

                          There's also an 'and' that should be an 'it' further down.

                          I wonder if this necessarily means that MA has a lower pH than LA?

                          And thank you, Jim/Waldo for you inerpreting/correcting me!

                          /Vini
                          Not a native speaker of this language :)

                          > Hi Baker,
                          >
                          > Believe Vini ment to say: " It reduces the perceived acidity in the wine
                          > sinc the MALIC acid is felt more sour then the LACTIC acid."
                          >
                          > A malolactic fermentation (MLF) transforms malic acid through lactic
                          > acid bacteria (LAB) into Lacitc acid, a much smoother, less bitter acid.
                          >
                          > Vino es Veritas,
                          >
                          > Jim aka Waldo.
                          >

                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Vini" wineifera@ wrote:
                          >
                          > > > All red wine undergo this process and a lot of white wine as well.
                          > It
                          > > > reduces the perceived acidity in the wine since the MALIC acid is
                          > felt
                          > > > more sour than the MALIC acid.
                          > > >
                          > > Hi, vini,
                          > >
                          > > It looks as if the last paragraph has a typo (see my CAPITALS) and
                          > > since I am interested in your story but am struggling to understand it
                          > > yet I wonder if you could change the word that is wrong and post it
                          > > again?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks a lot
                          > >
                          > > The Baker

                        • gff_stwrt
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                            Jeff,

                            Thanks for the information, I've saved it to study in my spare time!

                            I guess what I need is a mate working in a whey distillery who could
                            (without breaking any rules) let me have a bit of this stuff to try.

                            Anyway, I have been busy with fruit lately and have a lot to distill.

                            Regards,

                            The Baker

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...>