Re: [Distillers] Re: Rum and Dunder

  • Zapata Vive
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
      I don't know rum, so I won't pretend to.  But in several things I've read, including the Aroya patent (or whoever he was), rum specific flavor comes in the tails after the nasties.  I think that it goes something like, 1.  do a strip run.  2. start your spirit run.  Cut out the heads, switch to heart, make your tails cut, but keep collecting.  I think that once the tails are down to about 30% you start collecting again.

      Like I said, I don't know, just what I've heard and kept in mind for when I do start a rum.  Maybe the lack of rum flavor is from not enough molasses, combined with not catching those late tails.  I dunno, but might be something you want to research.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
        Hi ZP

        The patent you say is by Arroyo a Puerto Rican rum maker. It is at
        Harry´s site. There are many different ways in which rum is made but
        remember that he also used cultures of bacteria that many of us will
        hardly get. According to my experience the flavors come in
        approximate these percents:

        10% the material you use (cane juice, molasses, sugar)

        10 - 20% the strain of yeast you use (I think this after trying
        Danstil EDV 493, worth a try, expensive but worths every penny)

        80 - 70% Aging (the kind of oak you use american or french, the
        degree of toast, time, etc.)

        and additional 10 percent could be subtracted from the one asigned to
        aging if using and relying in spices (cinnammon, cloves, etc.) for
        the "notes" you get in some rums as hot (pepper, cinnamon), citrus
        (coriander, lemongrass), etc.

        Finally it results more in an art of combining all the above factors,
        so you cannot say a given rum is better than other in all aspects.
        There are lots of combinations. Plenty to choose from. I like that!

        Alex

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>