Re: Rum and Dunder

  • Anthony Athawes
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
      Thank you for all your information Alex. You really are quite an expert!
      It would be great to sit down with you and see you in action.

      I have printed out your email and will start off another brew today with 1/3 Molasses, 1/3 sugar, 1/3 water. When it come to distillation, I'll put in 2 gals Dunder.

      Re your comment on your PS2, I have 6'-8" x 2.5" dia copper tube outside just dying to be turned into something.......

      Incidentally I have a metre Liebig that works a lot better than the condenser on the WC Still.

      Hope your basking in your 25 C weather - it's snowing here!

    • Zapata Vive
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
        I don't know rum, so I won't pretend to.  But in several things I've read, including the Aroya patent (or whoever he was), rum specific flavor comes in the tails after the nasties.  I think that it goes something like, 1.  do a strip run.  2. start your spirit run.  Cut out the heads, switch to heart, make your tails cut, but keep collecting.  I think that once the tails are down to about 30% you start collecting again.

        Like I said, I don't know, just what I've heard and kept in mind for when I do start a rum.  Maybe the lack of rum flavor is from not enough molasses, combined with not catching those late tails.  I dunno, but might be something you want to research.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
          Hi ZP

          The patent you say is by Arroyo a Puerto Rican rum maker. It is at
          Harry´s site. There are many different ways in which rum is made but
          remember that he also used cultures of bacteria that many of us will
          hardly get. According to my experience the flavors come in
          approximate these percents:

          10% the material you use (cane juice, molasses, sugar)

          10 - 20% the strain of yeast you use (I think this after trying
          Danstil EDV 493, worth a try, expensive but worths every penny)

          80 - 70% Aging (the kind of oak you use american or french, the
          degree of toast, time, etc.)

          and additional 10 percent could be subtracted from the one asigned to
          aging if using and relying in spices (cinnammon, cloves, etc.) for
          the "notes" you get in some rums as hot (pepper, cinnamon), citrus
          (coriander, lemongrass), etc.

          Finally it results more in an art of combining all the above factors,
          so you cannot say a given rum is better than other in all aspects.
          There are lots of combinations. Plenty to choose from. I like that!

          Alex

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>