RE: [Distillers] Re: Spinning out a mash

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
      Jim,

      (comments inline)

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: jamesonbeam1@...
      Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 00:51:32 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Spinning out a mash

      ZB,

      Might want to follow James lead on the washing machine idea and put some
      screening in the spinner part, since the ones I used to sell as a dept.
      mgr. in gourmet cooking had long wide slits in em. Also thinking that
      theres not much space to collect the liquids so you might want to
      connect a tube on the bottom to your colletion jug.
      OR, you could leave the pump hooked up. I used to use a washing machine pump to empty and refill my Amazing James Bond Magical Disappearing Woodfired Still, which allowed me to reload without losing the fire. Worked like a charm.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      PS. Thanks alot for the info on Sherm's souring method. Haven't got a
      chance to read much of it, but sounds similar to a malolactic
      fermentation, which changes the tart acids in apples into a smooth,
      buttery tasing wine that I used to get alot of when making apple wines.
      You're welcome, of course.

      Wow! I'm familiar with malolactic fermentation in wine but I never thought of it in apple juice (in all its forms). Some of my dry ciders get pretty puckery! I'm not really an old hand at cidering, and I still have a lot to learn. Apple acid is mostly malic, isn't it?

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@ ...> wrote:

      > Hi Rob,
      >
      > I *love* it, and I don't know why I never thought of it, and
      > I've heard of salad spinners (even seen a couple). Does it get
      > the grain pretty dry?
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
      > From: macrobert@.. .
      > Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 15:50:08 -0500
      > Subject: [Distillers] Spinning out a mash

      > Hey ZB,I've finally done my first all grain mash (huh, 20 years in and
      I just start now?)
      > and was wondering how to drain the grains, so I went for a stroll thru
      the housewares section of the local discount mall and found an
      interesting little item called a salad spinner.Or, at least, interesting
      to me as I've never even heard of this thing before.
      > The one that I picked up has a geared crank in the lid, holds a
      comfortable 2.5 gals of corn, and after modding it for a drain, works
      well. I spun out 10 gal of wet corn mash in about 15 min.
      > It's alot smaller than a washing machine, and since it is a manual
      crank you can tell the wife you're trying to keep fit, and not involved
      in anything naughty.ATB,
      > Robbie Mac
      > Sometime tinkerer and sometimes it even works....
      >

      > --
      > Be Yourself @ mail.com!
      >
      > Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
      >
      > Get a Free Account at www.mail.com!

      > Hotmail® goes where you go. On a PC, on the Web, on your phone.

      http://www.windowsl ive-hotmail. com/learnmore/ versatility. aspx#mobile? oci\
      d=TXT_TAGHM_ WL_HM_versatilit y_121208

      Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail. See how it works.
    • mtnwalker2
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009

        > Hi Rob,
        >
        > I *love* it, and I don't know why I never thought of it, and
        > I've heard of salad spinners (even seen a couple). Does it get
        > the grain pretty dry?
        >
        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        I'm an old beekeeper who's bees were killed off by an illegal spray of
        encapsulated di methyle parathion in an apple orchard without any
        warning. 200 hives died the next day.

        Still, I have my radial extractor, SS with a valve at the bottom. Its
        a great centrifuge, hand cranked. It would hold around 15 gal. in the
        basket, and would sling better than any washing machine, with no
        plastic or rubber or hold up in the hoses. Simple and perhaps cheap,
        as there are many beekeepers out of business now.

        No I won't part with mine. Have a better use for it here.
      • Rob Macrobert
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009
          Bob,
          I was very surprised at how well it worked. The grain was slightly damp, but I'm not complaining as I reused it in a sugar wash to see if any flavor comes across.
          The model I got, is this one:
          http://www.dynamicmixers.co.uk/en/products/salad-dryers/34-e-10-manual-salad-spinner.html

          It has a plastic mesh basket with decently small sized holes, I mean the corn didn't fly out of it, but you may want to line it if you are using smaller grains.
          Check out the bigger models, and I'll give you a hint on full retail pricing....the electric starts at 5 bills and goes up depending on the reseller.
          The 5 gal capacity has a drain built in, and it was on for about $120.00 new.
          HTH,

          Robbie Mac

          Get a Free Account at www.mail.com
        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2009

            Hi ZB,

            Actually, i was talking about applying James' concept of putting screening in the salad spinner.  I was dept. manager of Gourmet Cookware at A&S in Queens, NY. back in the 70's when they first came out.  The ones I sold had wide slots in the sides of the spinner and only about 1/2 inch of space at the bottom.  If you put screening inside the spinner section, this would keep the grains inside it.  Then if you cut a hole in the side or on the bottom with a tube running to the collection jar it wouldnt fill up as fast.  Sorry, guess wasnt too clear on that.

            But i still love the idea of a used washing machine put on spin cycle with screening around the spinner and just letting the juices flow into your collection jug.

            Now about malolactic fermentation...

            Yes, theres alot of malic acid in apples.  Thats exactly why every now and then - it wasnt often - maybe 1 in 5 or so times, I would rack my apple wine into a secondary and air lock it.  All of a sudden in a week or 2 it started bubbling again - thats when I relized it was a malolactic fermentation.   After reading more about it in Wikipedia, its starting to make sense now  - read this:

            Malolactic fermentation tends to create a rounder, fuller mouthfeel. It has been said that malic acid tastes of green apples – indeed, malic comes from the Latin word for apple, mâlum, and is present in apple juice – and this can be tasted in the wine. By contrast, lactic acid is richer, even unctuous, and more buttery tasting – corresponding to its presence in milk, as reflected in the word lactic being derived from the Latin word for milk, lac, and it is present in sour milk.

            What happened is that the tart malic acid was converted to a smoother lactic acid by lactic acid bacteria (found in sour milk).... Now I know why it happened :):)!!!   I was using old plastic milk containers for my secondary fementers - ROTFLMAO.  I gues every now and then i didnt wash em out good enough - too funny huh.

            Now Im starting to think (I know - bad move this time of night) - what if we tried adding some sour milk to a sour mash - might that not start off a malolactic fermentation if theres any malic acid in it???  Or we add some apple juice and some sour milk to our sour mash...   Hummmmm.  let me ponder some more.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

          • Robert Hubble
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
              Ok, Jim,

              Now you've *really* got me interested.

              I'm not sure what combination of critters in milk would give
              you a malolactic fermentation, but I've had just enough
              microbiology to know the lil' beasties are opportunistic, and
              if there's something to eat, they'll gang up and figure a way
              to eat it.

              My first thought was the usual yogurt bacteria, Lactobacillus
              bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, but their job is
              converting lactose to lactic acid, not exactly what we want.

              From a less creative standpoint, my favorite LHBS, Homebrew
              Heaven, sells 2 different malolactic cultures, as well as test kits
              for both malic acid and lactic acid.

              I'd still like to understand and try to use the milk bugs for the
              malolactic fermentation, but either way, this year's cidering
              will be *very* interesting.

              Any idea how the MLF would affect a calvados?

              Thanks for the information, *especially* the milk part.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              From: jamesonbeam1@...
              Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 04:38:21 +0000

              Hi ZB,
              ----snip----Now about malolactic fermentation. ..

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009

                Hey ZB,

                Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) is what causes malolactic fermentation (MLF) in fruits that contain malic acid - apples and grapes being the most notable ones,  and is found in decomposing plants and lactic products (ie. milk).  This is why every now and then I was getting a malolactic fermentation occuring in my secondary fermenters which were old 1 gallon plastic milk containers (that i must not have cleaned out too well hehe).  Your idea of using Lactobacillus  bulgaricus is a good one since it is a strain of LAB:

                Probiotics are products aimed at delivering living, potentially beneficial, bacterial cells to the gut ecosystem of humans and other animals, whereas prebiotics are non-digestible carbohydrates delivered in food to the large bowel to provide fermentable substrates for selected bacteria. Strains of LAB are the most common microbes employed as probiotics. Two principal kinds of probiotic bacteria, members of the genera Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, have been studied in detail.

                When I did have MLF in my apple wines, the taste was unbelieveable and the body was so smooth, that when I bottled it and gave it to friends and family for X-mass, thay asked - Wow, how many years has this been aged??  (even though I made it that summer ;)).  Shhhhh - dont tell em will ya please :).

                Im going to start experimenting with this in my sour mashes and see if I can mimic Sherm's souring method with the lactic acid.  (SHERM - please chip in here with any advice).

                So for your calvados, I would definitly recommend going for a MLF in your apple fermentation and tell me about these malolactic cultures at your LHBS.  These would probably be easier to use then screwing around with sour milk LoL.

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim aka Waldo.

> [...]
                > What happened is that the tart malic acid was converted to a smoother lactic acid by lactic acid bacteria (found in sour milk).... Now I know why it happened !!! I was using old plastic milk containers for my secondary fementers - ROTFLMAO. I gues every now and then i didnt wash em out good enough - too funny huh.
                > Now Im starting to think (I know - bad move this time of night) - what if we tried adding some sour milk to a sour mash - might that not start off a malolactic fermentation if theres any malic acid in it??? Or we add some apple juice and some sour milk to our sour mash... Hummmmm. let me ponder some more.
                > Vino es Veritas,
                > Jim aka Waldo.

                > Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail.

              • Derek Hamlet
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                  At 11:06 AM 2/2/2009, you wrote:

                  >Hey ZB,
                  >
                  >Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) is what causes malolactic fermentation
                  >(MLF) in fruits that contain malic acid - apples and grapes being
                  >the most notable ones, and is found in decomposing plants and
                  >lactic products (ie. milk). This is why every now and then I was
                  >getting a malolactic fermentation occuring in my secondary
                  >fermenters which were old 1 gallon plastic milk containers (that i
                  >must not have cleaned out too well hehe). Your idea of using
                  >Lactobacillus bulgaricus is a good one since it is a strain of LAB:

                  Malolactic fermentation in wines is usually done to facilitate a
                  softer rounder mouthfeel in some red wines.
                  Cab. Sauv. and Merlot are classic examples. Most folks would try and
                  avoid malolactic fermentation with say a Zinfandel for example.
                  Most of us buy a special culture (quite expensive) make a good
                  starter and then innoculate our reds after the primary fermentation
                  is finished.
                  Malolactic can take as little as a month or as long as three
                  months. It is important to keep the temperature between approx.
                  68-72 degrees F.
                  Here's the crunch for the home winemaker.
                  Once you've used malolactic bacteria there is a very good chance that
                  it will hang around in your wineroom and get into future batches
                  whether you want it or not. In France in some of the caves where
                  they age their wine, they tell me that the malolactic hangs in the
                  corners like cobwebs.
                  For this reason when I make whites (not often) I clean my secondaries
                  very carefully and then do all the various steps outside right down
                  to bottling.
                  I then store them with reds and whatnot.
                  I have no idea if I've ever gotten malolactic into a wash intended
                  for distilling.

                  Derek
                • Robert Hubble
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                    Jim and Derek.

                    Since Homebrew Heaven generates dynamic HTML pages, I
                    can't give you a link that works, but here is the text for 1 of
                    the 2 malolactic cultures.

                    http://store.homebrewheaven.com/

                    "Malolactic Culture (Dry)
                    Convenient to use, sufficient for 10gallons as is, up to 50 gallons if you make a culture. 2 gram pkg. A blend of 4 separate strains of malolactic bacteria. Click to see usage instructions.".....$13.95!!!!! (my exclamation points)"

                    and the other one is from Wyeast, from the slopes of *my mountain*:

                    "
                    Wyeast #4007 Malo Lactic Blend (Liquid Culture)
                    Malolactic culture blend isolated from western Oregon wineries. Can be added to juice any time after the onset of yeast fermentation when sulfur dioxide is less than 15 ppm. Use at temperatures greater than 55 deg F." and it says further: " Malo-lactic Culture packages contain a live liquid suspension of Oenococcus oenii grown in a sterile organic juice based nutrient medium. Malic acid reduction will balance and soften wine while enhancing flavor and aroma characteristics including vanilla and buttery notes. 4007 Blend (blend of ER1A and EY2d cultures) will provide rapid and complete malic acid reduction in wine over a broad spectrum of conditions. ER1A, an excellent choice for red wines, has been isolated for it’s tolerance to low pH coditions. Ey2D has been selected for it tolerance to low cellar temperatures. Malo-lactic conversion is generally completed within 1-3 months."...$7.00

                    Derek, you sure got that expensive part right, but for a 5-gallon experiment, that & bucks might not be too bad.

                    Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                    To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    From: derekhamlet@...
                    Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:57:13 -0800
                    Subject: Re: [Distillers] malolactic fermentation - WAS: Re: Spinning out a mash

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                      Hi again ZB and Derek,

                      Your right!! - that stuff is expensive... Think im going to keep
                      experimenting with the sour milk approach lol. And yes Derek, some
                      wine makers actually encourage MLF in their fermentations. I think from
                      my experience, it works fantastic in apple wines and some of the lactic
                      acid flavors should come across in a Calvados distillation. Going to
                      try it this summer.

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim aka Waldo.

                      Note ZB: I have seen lactic acid sold in some wine making supply stores
                      - maybe just adding that to a sour mash might work also???

> [...]
                      >
                      > months. It is important to keep the temperature between approx.
                      >
                      > 68-72 degrees F.
                      >
                      > Here's the crunch for the home winemaker.
                      >
                      > Once you've used malolactic bacteria there is a very good chance that
                      >
                      > it will hang around in your wineroom and get into future batches
                      >
                      > whether you want it or not. In France in some of the caves where
                      >
                      > they age their wine, they tell me that the malolactic hangs in the
                      >
                      > corners like cobwebs.
                      >
                      > For this reason when I make whites (not often) I clean my secondaries
                      >
                      > very carefully and then do all the various steps outside right down
                      >
                      > to bottling.
                      >
                      > I then store them with reds and whatnot.
                      >
                      > I have no idea if I've ever gotten malolactic into a wash intended
                      >
                      > for distilling.
                      >

                      > Derek

                      > Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.

                      http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_012009

                    • Vini
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Fall 2007 i made my first calvados from 300-400 kg of apple which I
                        pressed to 250 liter apple juice or so. After the alcohol fermentation
                        to about 4,5% alcohol it nearly cleared but then started to ferment
                        again. A qualified guess is that this was the malolactic fermentation.
                        The temp in the room was going up and that's how wine producers
                        sometimes induce the ML fermentaion. The ML bacterias are already
                        there but seems to prefer the raised temp.

                        All red wine undergo this process and a lot of white wine as well. It
                        reduces the perceived acidity in the wine since the malic acid is felt
                        more sour than the malic acid.

                        In Pays de Auge (where the best calvados is made) they let the apple
                        juice ferment and and is kept on its lees for several months to
                        achieve the right taste to the final product. During this time it
                        undergoes a ML fermentation.

                        /Vini

                      • Zapata Vive
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                          My initial thoughts were that it shouldn't matter for a distilled beverage as neither lactic nor malic acids are volatile.  But, then I thought about what else the acids do, like form esters with alcohols.  These are usually more volatile, so maybe they would come across.

                          Trying to imagine what the taste differences would be.  So I thought I'd compare things like ethyl malate vs. ethyl lactate.  Unfortunately I come up short on the malates.  About all I can find is a list of malates found in some small berry which are believed to be bitter tasting.   Unfortunately I can't find any info on the corresponding lactates.

                          In fact, about all I can come up with is that ethyl lactate is "is mild, buttery, creamy, with hints of fruit and coconut." (wikipedia).  Ethyl lactate has a pretty high BP, so I'm not sure much if any of it would come over in the distillate.

                          Malolactic fermentation can producer diacetyl (buttered popcorn flavor, sometimes butterscotch like).  Diacetyl's BP is 88*C, so it is likely that it could distill over.

                          OK, I'm coming up pretty short.  But I find that lactic acid can form lactones, I recognize that word.  Lactones are found naturally in oak trees and have a flavor similar to whisky, or coconuts, depending on which account you take.  Strange, whiskey isn't very coconut to me.  Seems like most lactones have BP's well in excess of 100*C, so probably little would come over in the distillate.

                          So, I didn't find anything that really seems like it would come over in the distillate other than diacetyl.  Maybe this would be ok in a distillate, but I'm not sure.

                          I just kinda took notes while doing a bunch of googling, and thought I'd share in case anybody else has any thoughts or wants to take it from there.  I'd be willing to try with a free wash, but fruits and juices are rather expensive, so I think I'll hold off on distilling a malolactic fermentation until we have some idea of what flavors specifically migth come over.  Notes of whiskey, oak, coconut, and butter do sound nice in a cider though, I think I'll definite reserve some of my apple wash for a ML fermentation and save it as a wine...

                          From: derekhamlet@ shaw.ca
                          Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:57:13 -0800

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 2, 2009
                            That is useful info, thanks.  Maybe that's all the recommendation I need to try it with my apple wash, other than the months part, I hate waiting...

> [...]

                            > > months. It is important to keep the temperature between approx.
                            > >
                            > > 68-72 degrees F.
                            > >
                            > > Here's the crunch for the home winemaker.
                            > >
                            > > Once you've used malolactic bacteria there is a very good chance that
                            > >
                            > > it will hang around in your wineroom and get into future batches
                            > >
                            > > whether you want it or not. In France in some of the caves where
                            > >
                            > > they age their wine, they tell me that the malolactic hangs in the
                            > >
                            > > corners like cobwebs.
                            > >
                            > > For this reason when I make whites (not often) I clean my secondaries
                            > >
                            > > very carefully and then do all the various steps outside right down
                            > >
                            > > to bottling.
                            > >
                            > > I then store them with reds and whatnot.
                            > >
                            > > I have no idea if I've ever gotten malolactic into a wash intended
                            > >
                            > > for distilling.
                            > >

                            > > Derek

                            > > Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.

                          • gff_stwrt
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                              Hi, folks,

                              Several times I have made enquiries about obtaining the special yeast
                              used for fermenting whey, which I might be able to obtain as a
                              byproduct of the operations of my friend's cheese-making operation.

                              A lot of vodka is made from whey in New Zealand, I believe.

                              It seems I could only obtain a quite small amount and it might cost
                              (from an unreliable memory) say $150 or $200 or more.
                              Which of course would be fine for an operation set up with its own
                              laboratory to culture and store the yeast (kluyveromyces marxianus,
                              sometimes known as k. fragilis).

                              But, THAT is expensive!

                              Regards,

                              The Baker

                              > Hi again ZB and Derek,
                              >
                              > Your right!! - that stuff is expensive...

                              SNIP

                              > Jim aka Waldo.
                              >
                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@>

                              SNIP

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Vini" <wineifera@...> wrote:

                                > Fall 2007 i made my first calvados from 300-400 kg of apple which I
                                > pressed to 250 liter apple juice or so. After the alcohol fermentation
                                > to about 4,5% alcohol it nearly cleared but then started to ferment
                                > again. A qualified guess is that this was the malolactic fermentation.
                                > The temp in the room was going up and that's how wine producers
                                > sometimes induce the ML fermentation. The ML bacterias are already
                                > there but seems to prefer the raised temp.
                                >
                                > All red wine undergo this process and a lot of white wine as well. It
                                > reduces the perceived acidity in the wine since the MALIC acid is felt
                                > more sour than the MALIC acid.

                                Hi, vini,

                                It looks as if the last paragraph has a typo (see my CAPITALS) and
                                since I am interested in your story but am struggling to understand it
                                yet I wonder if you could change the word that is wrong and post it
                                again?

                                Thanks a lot

                                The Baker
                              • burrows206
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                                  Hi Baker,
                                   I found this on the internet
                                   http://www.medicaljournal-ias.org/4_2/Omar.pdf
                                  only read a couple of pages and the mind went into information over
                                  load (in other words lost track too many big incomprehensible words)
                                  thought it might be useful anyway so I'm posting it
                                  Geoff
                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi, folks,
                                  >
                                  > Several times I have made enquiries about obtaining the special yeast
                                  > used for fermenting whey, which I might be able to obtain as a
                                  > byproduct of the operations of my friend's cheese-making operation.
                                  >
                                  > A lot of vodka is made from whey in New Zealand, I believe.
                                  >
                                  > It seems I could only obtain a quite small amount and it might cost
                                  > (from an unreliable memory) say $150 or $200 or more.
                                  > Which of course would be fine for an operation set up with its own
                                  > laboratory to culture and store the yeast (kluyveromyces marxianus,
                                  > sometimes known as k. fragilis).
                                  >
                                  > But, THAT is expensive!
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > The Baker

                                • jamesonbeam1
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                                    Hi Baker,

                                    Believe Vini ment to say: " It reduces the perceived acidity in the wine
                                    sinc the MALIC acid is felt more sour then the LACTIC acid."

                                    A malolactic fermentation (MLF) transforms malic acid through lactic
                                    acid bacteria (LAB) into Lacitc acid, a much smoother, less bitter acid.

                                    Vino es Veritas,

                                    Jim aka Waldo.

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Vini" wineifera@ wrote:

                                    > > All red wine undergo this process and a lot of white wine as well.
                                    It
                                    > > reduces the perceived acidity in the wine since the MALIC acid is
                                    felt
                                    > > more sour than the MALIC acid.
                                    > >
                                    > Hi, vini,
                                    >
                                    > It looks as if the last paragraph has a typo (see my CAPITALS) and
                                    > since I am interested in your story but am struggling to understand it
                                    > yet I wonder if you could change the word that is wrong and post it
                                    > again?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks a lot
                                    >
                                    > The Baker

                                  • KM Services
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009

                                      Yes Baker,

                                      Fonterra in New Zealand produce fuel and drinkable ethanol from whey which is used in a variety of products    see this link : http://energy.massey.ac.nz/Conference%202006/Ethanol%20from%20Whey%20-%20A%20Gibson.pdf

                                      Cheers

                                      Ken Mc

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                                        I now see I made this post without too much proofreading (actually due
                                        to a glass or two of some slightly over oaked calvados - but with
                                        aeration for six months I hope it will marry well).

                                        Anyway, it should of course be:
                                        Malic acid is felt more acid than lactic acid.

                                        There's also an 'and' that should be an 'it' further down.

                                        I wonder if this necessarily means that MA has a lower pH than LA?

                                        And thank you, Jim/Waldo for you inerpreting/correcting me!

                                        /Vini
                                        Not a native speaker of this language :)

                                        > Hi Baker,
                                        >
                                        > Believe Vini ment to say: " It reduces the perceived acidity in the wine
                                        > sinc the MALIC acid is felt more sour then the LACTIC acid."
                                        >
                                        > A malolactic fermentation (MLF) transforms malic acid through lactic
                                        > acid bacteria (LAB) into Lacitc acid, a much smoother, less bitter acid.
                                        >
                                        > Vino es Veritas,
                                        >
                                        > Jim aka Waldo.
                                        >

                                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Vini" wineifera@ wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > > All red wine undergo this process and a lot of white wine as well.
                                        > It
                                        > > > reduces the perceived acidity in the wine since the MALIC acid is
                                        > felt
                                        > > > more sour than the MALIC acid.
                                        > > >
                                        > > Hi, vini,
                                        > >
                                        > > It looks as if the last paragraph has a typo (see my CAPITALS) and
                                        > > since I am interested in your story but am struggling to understand it
                                        > > yet I wonder if you could change the word that is wrong and post it
                                        > > again?
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks a lot
                                        > >
                                        > > The Baker

                                      • gff_stwrt
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                                          Jeff,

                                          Thanks for the information, I've saved it to study in my spare time!

                                          I guess what I need is a mate working in a whey distillery who could
                                          (without breaking any rules) let me have a bit of this stuff to try.

                                          Anyway, I have been busy with fruit lately and have a lot to distill.

                                          Regards,

                                          The Baker

                                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...>