Re: NOW: Grain/wash separation

  • morganfield1
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 31, 2009
      Got ya, ZB, didn't notice you were doing 25 gal washes. Ya, it would
      take a week!

      Tip one, Morgan

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey Morgan ans Zapata
      >
      > Actually I used to do what Morgan suggests, but it only handled
      > 4 to 5 gallons per batch, and a batch took hours to drain, so I'd
      > do a lot of manual squeezing. In this case, I was trying to drain
      > perhaps 25 gallons of grain, in a 55-gallon drum. I'd have been
      > at it all week.
      >
      > There was a day when I might have tried to flip that 55-gallon
      > drum full of wet grain over my head to balance it on a bucket, but
      > that day's long gone. I'm still happy with my bucket.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: zapatavive@...
      > Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:33:44 -0500
      > Subject: Re: [Distillers] NOW: Grain/wash separation

      > A similar idea without having to drill any
      > holes. And it modifies a $1 lid instead of a $5 bucket (yes, I'm
      really
      > that cheap sometimes).
      >
      > A soldering gun works great at cutting
      > plastic. I cut the middle out of the lid for a 5 gallon bucket,
      making a
      > ring that snaps snug onto the bucket. I can lay a piece of window
      screen
      > or fabric (depending on how much you want to filter / how fast it
      will come
      > through / clog up etc) anyway, lay that over the bucket, snap the
      ring on to
      > hold it in place, and turn it over to drain. Set it on another
      bucket, in
      > a pot, whatever.
      >
      > But yeah, all great ideas.

      ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_012009

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 3, 2009
        The foaming was indeed not an issue and I did the strip run at 3kW.
        I'll comment on the quality once I have done the second run for
        collected low wines.

        Speaking of wheat flour mashes, found 2 gallon jars full of that
        stuff with oakchips. I think it's time to dilute some and start
        sampling :)

        Cheers, Riku