Re: Stacking of Sugar washes

  • stillyaakman
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Dan,
      >

      > How did McHarry's processes work out for you? What did you make?
      > If you had good results, we could recommend this to the allgrain
      > whisk(e)y crowd.
      >
      > What say you?
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: stillyaakman@...
      > Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:24:13 +0000
      > Subject: [Distillers] Re: Stacking of Sugar washes

      Hi back,

      McHarry's process worked very well. He was not a fan of pure corn
      mashes,prefering to have a larger perportion of rye. Pure corn was
      only recomended if that was all that was available due to
      weather/road conditions causing shipping problems etc. However, he
      gives recipes for potato, fruit,'pumpions'and turnips. Claims potato
      spirit can be made that rivals 'fine French brandy.

      I'm fortunate to have a pump that is capable to handle boiling water
      so it lessens the heavy lifting I need to do. I have a 30gal. water
      heater set up as a boiler not plumbed into the house and by-passed
      thermostats. The 5k element will heat up a full tank in a reasonable
      time.

      I've been using a 25 gal. fermenter, bakers yeast,I try to get a 25
      brix aprox. Ferment on the grain and distil on the grain also. Slow
      flame and so far I've not scorched anything bad enough to cause a
      problem.

      I also have experimented with a rotational mash keeping back about 5
      gal. of the beer and starting the next batch with that. It worked
      quite well but got very sour by the third batch. It was about as
      inexpensive a product as you could imagine. 3# of bakers yeast was
      less than $4 The corn was about$10/50# bag sugar is $10-13 for 25#.
      For about $25 I made 5.5 gal. 40% that had a great taste good grain
      character.

      Hoping to start some rye experimentation soon. Wild Turkey Rye is my
      benchmark.

      Dan