Re: [Distillers] Xflow vs Coil (was) Re: Reflux Woes still no azetrope etho.

  • zapatavive@suddenlink.net
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 5, 2009
      I'll vote for the xflow. I will note though that the dimensions of my fittings were far different than those in Harry's plans. Mine were apparently a LOT bigger. Since I had to redo everything, I did it in those silly American inches (and 1/16ths, and 1/8ths etc). I've been meaning to draw them up computer friendly and post what I ended up with. But just throwing that out so you don't go cutting your condenser tubes before measuring your fittings and realizing that even with NO space between the T and the endcaps, you're looking at 8 inches instead of 6...

      Oh, and I'll also throw out there that I use my wort chiller in place of a radiator and it works well.
      ---- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Distillers@yahoogroups.com> ,
      > "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:
      >
      > Now to decide weather to go with a coil or the Cross flow up top.
      > > Is one more efficient than the other? Any real advantages one over
      > > the other?
      > >
      > > Mason
      > >

      > Crossflow vs Coil
      > The crossflow condenser was designed specifically as a recirculation
      > closed loop solution for areas where coolant water is either expensive
      > or in short supply. Recirc systems must have low friction and low
      > pressure pumps with low power consumption else pumps become expensive
      > and have shortened lives (impeller cavitation). However there are other
      > significant advantages with crossflow condensers.
      >

      > Crossflow Condenser
      >
      > Coil Condenser
      >

      > Resistance to coolant flow
      >

      > Almost nil
      >
      > High
      >
      > Pumping power requirements
      >

      > low (23 watt), low pressure
      >
      > High (+250 watt), high pressure pumps or mains pressure municipal feed
      >
      > Phase change (condensing) capability
      >

      > Highly efficient. Designed for large steam volumes
      >
      > Moderate
      >
      > Size
      >

      > Compact 2" x 6" horizontal
      >
      > Large 2" x 12" vertical
      >
      > Overall still height
      >

      > adds 4"
      >
      > adds 12"
      >
      > Fabrication
      >

      > Fiddly, requires some skill
      >
      > Relatively easy (some will disagree)
      >
      > Coolant specs
      >

      > Minimal loss, recirculated, 6 litres/minute, 20°C IN - 25°C OUT
      >
      > Total loss, to waste or may be recirculated. 300ml/minute, 20°C IN -
      > 70°C OUT
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

    • duds2u
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 9, 2009
        I found that there was a very small amount of play in the "T" piece
        that allowed me to do it so I didn't have to bend anything.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

        > How did you manage to "raise the ends of the cross to prevent
        pooling"?

        > I think that means you bent the two horizontal arms of the "T"
        fitting slightly up? I thought of that, but couldn't think of a good
        way, especially without throwing them out of round. I also didn't
        really feel like messing around with it too much, that fitting cost me
        more than my column!

        > Tips much appreciated on this, I've got a friend thinking of
        building, and if I could convince him his would be even better than
        mine, he'd take the bait for sure!