Re: Reflux Woes still no azetrope etho.

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 5, 2009
      For a collar to function properly you want to get the reflux as close
      to the center as possible. The vapor coming up the column will push
      it towards the walls as it travels down so the more center you start
      the better. The limit for opening area is the 100"/s vapor speed,
      choking happens around that speed.

      The vaporspeed should always be within the limits, regardless of the
      column diameter. 2" column allows more power to be used for same
      vaporspeed, thus faster product output.

      Since you are not getting 95.6% I suggest there is something wrong
      with your still. What about your boiler, how big is it and of what
      material (trying to estimate heat losses here)?

      My book has some basic stuff about VM principle and some more
      advanced stuff about column behaviour in general. I've tried to
      explain what happens and why.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...>

      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, that is way big collar for the power you use. Try 18-20mm
      > > opening instead. Still, even without collar and 1 meter of packed
      > > height you should easily get past 94% ABV. Heck, my first still
      was
      > > 42mm Nixon-Stone with BALL valve for control and it produced
      94.5%
      > > ABV in my first run when I knew next to nothing about running
      stills.

      > > Going to 2" size is indeed a good idea, but unless you find out
      > > what's your problem now you may repeat it in 2" size.
      > >
      > > Cheers, Riku
      >
      > Here is where things are getting blurry for me. On the one hand it
      is
      > good to go to 2" diameter. It increases Cubic feet as well as can
      > handle higher wattage's and therefore faster vapor speeds?. On the
      > other hand I need to restrict my current columns collar from 1" down
      > to 3/4". This doesnt make sense to me. Is it because of the VM set
      > up and the way that works?
      > Don't think I haven't considered reworking this thing back to an
      > offset head. When it was in that configuration I was getting 92%
      with
      > Marbles and propane. Now I switch to Structured packing, VM and
      > electricity and I gain a %.
      > Is any of this VM stuff explained in your Book? If so it may be
      time
      > to pick up a copy. I should have it anyway.
      >
      > Mason

    • duds2u
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 9, 2009
        I found that there was a very small amount of play in the "T" piece
        that allowed me to do it so I didn't have to bend anything.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

        > How did you manage to "raise the ends of the cross to prevent
        pooling"?

        > I think that means you bent the two horizontal arms of the "T"
        fitting slightly up? I thought of that, but couldn't think of a good
        way, especially without throwing them out of round. I also didn't
        really feel like messing around with it too much, that fitting cost me
        more than my column!

        > Tips much appreciated on this, I've got a friend thinking of
        building, and if I could convince him his would be even better than
        mine, he'd take the bait for sure!