Re: Reflux Woes still no azetrope etho.

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 5, 2009

      > Yes, that is way big collar for the power you use. Try 18-20mm
      > opening instead. Still, even without collar and 1 meter of packed
      > height you should easily get past 94% ABV. Heck, my first still was
      > 42mm Nixon-Stone with BALL valve for control and it produced 94.5%
      > ABV in my first run when I knew next to nothing about running stills.
      >
      > Going to 2" size is indeed a good idea, but unless you find out
      > what's your problem now you may repeat it in 2" size.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku

      Here is where things are getting blurry for me. On the one hand it is
      good to go to 2" diameter. It increases Cubic feet as well as can
      handle higher wattage's and therefore faster vapor speeds?. On the
      other hand I need to restrict my current columns collar from 1" down
      to 3/4". This doesnt make sense to me. Is it because of the VM set
      up and the way that works?
      Don't think I haven't considered reworking this thing back to an
      offset head. When it was in that configuration I was getting 92% with
      Marbles and propane. Now I switch to Structured packing, VM and
      electricity and I gain a %.
      Is any of this VM stuff explained in your Book? If so it may be time
      to pick up a copy. I should have it anyway.

      Mason
    • duds2u
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 9, 2009
        I found that there was a very small amount of play in the "T" piece
        that allowed me to do it so I didn't have to bend anything.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

        > How did you manage to "raise the ends of the cross to prevent
        pooling"?

        > I think that means you bent the two horizontal arms of the "T"
        fitting slightly up? I thought of that, but couldn't think of a good
        way, especially without throwing them out of round. I also didn't
        really feel like messing around with it too much, that fitting cost me
        more than my column!

        > Tips much appreciated on this, I've got a friend thinking of
        building, and if I could convince him his would be even better than
        mine, he'd take the bait for sure!