Xflow vs Coil (was) Re: Reflux Woes still no azetrope etho.

    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 5, 2009

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

       Now to decide weather to go with a coil or the Cross flow up top.
      > Is one more efficient than the other?  Any real advantages one over
      > the other?
      >
      > Mason

      Crossflow vs Coil

      The crossflow condenser was designed specifically as a recirculation closed loop solution for areas where coolant water is either expensive or in short supply.  Recirc systems must have low friction and low pressure pumps with low power consumption else pumps become expensive and have shortened lives (impeller cavitation).  However there are other significant advantages with crossflow condensers.

      Crossflow Condenser

      Coil Condenser

      Resistance to coolant flow

      Almost nil

      High

      Pumping power requirements

      low (23 watt), low pressure

      High (+250 watt), high pressure pumps or mains pressure municipal feed

      Phase change (condensing) capability

      Highly efficient.  Designed for large steam volumes

      Moderate

      Size

      Compact 2" x 6" horizontal

      Large 2" x 12" vertical

      Overall still height

      adds 4"

      adds 12"

      Fabrication

      Fiddly, requires some skill

      Relatively easy (some will disagree)

      Coolant specs

       Minimal loss, recirculated, 6 litres/minute, 20°C IN - 25°C OUT

      Total loss, to waste or may be recirculated.  300ml/minute, 20°C IN - 70°C OUT

    • duds2u
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 9, 2009
        I found that there was a very small amount of play in the "T" piece
        that allowed me to do it so I didn't have to bend anything.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

        > How did you manage to "raise the ends of the cross to prevent
        pooling"?

        > I think that means you bent the two horizontal arms of the "T"
        fitting slightly up? I thought of that, but couldn't think of a good
        way, especially without throwing them out of round. I also didn't
        really feel like messing around with it too much, that fitting cost me
        more than my column!

        > Tips much appreciated on this, I've got a friend thinking of
        building, and if I could convince him his would be even better than
        mine, he'd take the bait for sure!