Re: Reflux Woes still no azetrope etho.

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 5, 2009

      > Cross flow - saves height and works with circulating water systems
      > Coil - higher, requires water mains, easier to make
      >
      > If I were you I'd check the horizontal positioning of the column and
      > add a collar to the top to center the reflux before building another
      > column.
      >
      > Was the first spirits you got out 95.6% ABV? Have you calibrated your
      > alcometer and did you temperature correct the result?
      >
      > Cheers, Riku
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@> wrote:
      > >

      > > The 2" route is probably the way I will go. The fittings are a little
      > > expensive but whats another hundred bucks at this point.
      > > Thanks for the Math and the explanation. Maybe Riku has a couple more
      > > Ideas, but I think at this point I am just trying to make inferior
      > > size work with good design. Which still makes BAD DESIGN.
      > > Now to decide weather to go with a coil or the Cross flow up top.
      > > Is one more efficient than the other? Any real advantages one over
      > > the other?
      > >
      > > Mason

      Check your other Yahoo account Riku (Pelo somthin another)I replied to
      your other email. I do have a collar in the top but it may be too big.
      As for the Hydrometer I did correct for temp and best I could check
      the calibration was to put it against storebought spirit. It seems to
      be correct.
      The Highest ABV of the run was a temp corrected 93.5%.

      Mason
    • duds2u
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 9, 2009
        I found that there was a very small amount of play in the "T" piece
        that allowed me to do it so I didn't have to bend anything.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

        > How did you manage to "raise the ends of the cross to prevent
        pooling"?

        > I think that means you bent the two horizontal arms of the "T"
        fitting slightly up? I thought of that, but couldn't think of a good
        way, especially without throwing them out of round. I also didn't
        really feel like messing around with it too much, that fitting cost me
        more than my column!

        > Tips much appreciated on this, I've got a friend thinking of
        building, and if I could convince him his would be even better than
        mine, he'd take the bait for sure!