Re: Reflux Woes still no azetrope etho.

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 5, 2009
      Cross flow - saves height and works with circulating water systems
      Coil - higher, requires water mains, easier to make

      If I were you I'd check the horizontal positioning of the column and
      add a collar to the top to center the reflux before building another
      column.

      Was the first spirits you got out 95.6% ABV? Have you calibrated your
      alcometer and did you temperature correct the result?

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

      > The 2" route is probably the way I will go. The fittings are a little
      > expensive but whats another hundred bucks at this point.
      > Thanks for the Math and the explanation. Maybe Riku has a couple more
      > Ideas, but I think at this point I am just trying to make inferior
      > size work with good design. Which still makes BAD DESIGN.
      > Now to decide weather to go with a coil or the Cross flow up top.
      > Is one more efficient than the other? Any real advantages one over
      > the other?
      >
      > Mason

    • duds2u
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 9, 2009
        I found that there was a very small amount of play in the "T" piece
        that allowed me to do it so I didn't have to bend anything.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

        > How did you manage to "raise the ends of the cross to prevent
        pooling"?

        > I think that means you bent the two horizontal arms of the "T"
        fitting slightly up? I thought of that, but couldn't think of a good
        way, especially without throwing them out of round. I also didn't
        really feel like messing around with it too much, that fitting cost me
        more than my column!

        > Tips much appreciated on this, I've got a friend thinking of
        building, and if I could convince him his would be even better than
        mine, he'd take the bait for sure!