Reflux Woes still no azetrope etho.

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 4, 2009
      Need some help here guys. I have been messing around with Reflux
      columns for near a year now but only recently got serious about trying
      to make true neutral alcohol. My Rig is as follows. 1 1/2" copper
      column 45" packing length set up for VM. Tee'd to 3/4" straight
      through to the liebig. I have gotten advice on how this thing should
      be run and have follow that advice to the best of what I have. I
      started a run Friday morning at 11:00 using 15000ml of 45% low wines.
      Heated it up with 2000+ watts and when the boiler got up to 172F I
      unplugged the 1440watt element and used the 650watt element for the
      remainder of the run. I measured the wattage on the element 2 ways.
      One with a "Amp Clamp" that the math (volts x amps) came out at
      691watts and also a meter similar to the Kill a watt that had it at
      648watts. Once the temp at the top reached 172F I continued to let it
      equalize for another hour and then adjusted the valve to 200ml/hour
      and it stayed there throughout the run. I shut the still down last
      night at 10:00pm.
      35 hours. I left it alone after 11:00pm friday night and went to bed.
      Pulled the jug at 9 the next morning and it had averaged 162ml/hour.
      For some reason it had picked back up to 200ml/hr average by then
      though and ran at the pace the remainder of the run. The run yielded
      some 5.5 liters of 92% alcohol. I was given the advice to run this rig
      at 500watts and 300ml/hour and that should reach the 95% mark. I
      figured since I couldnt hit the recommended wattage I would slow the
      takeoff rate to make up for it.
      In Ian Smileys book, in the chapter on pure ethanol distillation he
      writes that he runs a 1 1/4" column of 48" at 1500watts with a take
      off rate 12ml/min and achieves 95%. Thats 720ml/hour. What am I
      doing wrong here. I am using structured packing and I think I have it
      packed properly. The rolls are rolled small enough to fit in the
      column but they want fall out.

      Mason
    • duds2u
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 9, 2009
        I found that there was a very small amount of play in the "T" piece
        that allowed me to do it so I didn't have to bend anything.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

        > How did you manage to "raise the ends of the cross to prevent
        pooling"?

        > I think that means you bent the two horizontal arms of the "T"
        fitting slightly up? I thought of that, but couldn't think of a good
        way, especially without throwing them out of round. I also didn't
        really feel like messing around with it too much, that fitting cost me
        more than my column!

        > Tips much appreciated on this, I've got a friend thinking of
        building, and if I could convince him his would be even better than
        mine, he'd take the bait for sure!