Re: AWOL?

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009

      > Everybody still recovering????
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Almost there but got this nasty flue to top it off. Now if someone
      could do a stripping run for me and change my column packing I'd be
      ready for one interesting spirits run ...

      Cheers, Riku
    • midnighthorseman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
        > aaahhh i have a2" double slant bokabob with a 2x6" long tube below
        the slants packed with structured packing and ran a very nice rum on
        new years eve.... made the rum from 5lbs pilloncio,5 lbs white
        sugar,1qt Grandmas molassses, approx 1 QT dunder from previous runs.
        out of a 5 gals. of wash i ended up with 2300 ml of 170pf and 300 ml
        tails with the regular heads n foreshots added to my tails for later
        distillations.... awesome flavor!!!.....
        best of luck in everyones endevores this new years!!!!
        > Everybody still recovering????
        >
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
          Brain cells dead, can't think of anything to post!

          Tip one, Morgan
          Terrible massacre, wasn't pretty. The little buggers never stood a
          chance :-(

          > Everybody still recovering????
          >
          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • gff_stwrt
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
            Hi, folks,

            I plan to make one of these Bokakob slant plate reflux stills one
            day, though for the time being I am trying to learn to operate my pot
            still.
            I have some two inch and some three inch copper tube, and also
            about eight feet of four inch stainless.
            (If I used the stainless, and in fact in any case, I would use
            copper mesh in the column).
            If I take it for granted for the moment that there will be no
            difficulty in matching the boiler (bigger pot) and the heat source
            (bigger gas ring), and so on, to the bigger tubes;
            will the three inch be a lot better than the two inch, and the
            four inch be much better than the three inch?
            In other words will the bigger ones produce a lot more product, of
            equal quality to the smaller ones, in the same amount of time?

            On the face of it it would seem so, but life is not that simple,
            is it? It is even possible that I would be better off making a
            different kind of reflux still.....

            Thanks very much to you more experienced distillers for your help.

            Regards,

            The Baker

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@...>

            > > aaahhh i have a2" double slant bokabob with a 2x6" long tube below
            > the slants packed with structured packing and ran a very nice rum on
            > new years eve.... made the rum from 5lbs pilloncio,5 lbs white
            > sugar,1qt Grandmas molassses, approx 1 QT dunder from previous runs.
            > out of a 5 gals. of wash i ended up with 2300 ml of 170pf and 300 ml
            > tails with the regular heads n foreshots added to my tails for later
            > distillations.... awesome flavor!!!.....
            > best of luck in everyones endevores this new years!!!!
            > > Everybody still recovering????
            > >
            > > Slainte!
            > > regards Harry

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
              The column efficiency starts to drop once you move from 2" to 3".
              When you move to 4" it drops markedly. This means that by just
              scaling up a 2" design to 4" you are not going to get 95.6% ethanol
              four times faster.

              It is indeed the case that you would be better off making another
              type of a still if it is easy neutral alcohol production you have in
              mind. Look for VM, ARC and E-ARC type of stills.

              Cheers, Riku