flavoring vodka

  • goodneighbor69
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2008
      i want to make vanilla for the wife. i have done this before by just
      soaking the beans in a bottle for months. can i speed this up? was
      thinking i might be able to boil the vodka and beans together. with
      the bowl full of ice over the pan to condense spirits back to pan. has
      anyone tried this? or know how to speed up the extraction of flavor?
      ill be using store bought 40% abv stuff. thanx
    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2008
        Hey Good,

        If you dont want to take the time macerating vanilla beans, then try
        experimenting with some good quality pure vanilla extract. I've tried
        that and also other pure extracts like lemon with OK results in neutral
        spirits (still not as good as the real thing). Maybe Wal has some
        ideas - but I'd stay away from trying to boil alcohol over a stove -
        gas or not..... Please...

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69" <goodneighbor69@...>
        wrote:

        > i want to make vanilla for the wife. i have done this before by just
        > soaking the beans in a bottle for months. can i speed this up? was
        > thinking i might be able to boil the vodka and beans together. with
        > the bowl full of ice over the pan to condense spirits back to pan. has
        > anyone tried this? or know how to speed up the extraction of flavor?
        > ill be using store bought 40% abv stuff. thanx

      • Slingshot
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2012
          I recently visited a distillery and sampled some flavored vodkas that I would like to attempt...They weren't willing to give out much information, but I did find out they steep in some fruits at 190 proof. my question is would they carbon filter at 190 prior, or filter after steeping, which seems like it would remove all desired flavors. I guess what I am getting at, is how does a person create some of the incredible vodka flavors that are out there?
        • fatbloke@gmx.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2012
            The easiest way is to try some of the commercial flavourings that are out there.

            Prestige/Ambrosia brand or Still Spirits brand are what I use.....

            I'm quite partial to the Cherimoya flavouring, especially if the vodka is then served with a cream soda mixer :-P

            From: "Slingshot" <slange22@...>
            Sender: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 05:16:37 -0000
            To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>