Feints ABV?

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2008
      Has anyone measured the ABV of your combined feints? I was just
      browsing through the "Whisky, technology, marketing and production" and
      it mentions that both mash distillation and low wines distillation are
      run to 1% ABV purity. This means that about 45% of the mash is
      collected at low wines making the ABV at around 20%. This means it has
      to be boosted with feints to get to 25-30% range. So, the question is,
      how much feints and at what ABV do you recycle? I'd like to get some
      practical examples from our whisky distillers.

      Cheers, Riku
    • castillo.alex2008
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2008
        Hi Riku

        After months making double distillations (first stripping run and
        later spirits run) and after reading Smiley´s book where he states
        that many distillers (including himself) think that whisky is better
        with a single distillation (an good cuts) I experimented only making
        single distillations for both rum and whisky. I must say that the
        rum is a light one (i.e. sugar + molasses) and the whisky has been
        prepared using DME and Dextrose with (and without) mashing of peated
        malt. Happily I have found that my rig (PS II, Brewhaus) provides
        and excellent product with this single distillations, but collecting
        larger quantities of tails (these were identified initially by
        taste). My last results have been as follows (for whiskey):

        1. Whisky
        (dextrose: 2.5 kg, peated malt: 1 pound, DME: 1 pound, double
        distillation)

        Stripping: 3 lt. Low wines 60% ABV;

        Spirits: Foreshots: 100 ml.,Head: 100 ml.; Middle:1 lt. 81% ABV;
        Tails: 1 lt. 60% ABV.

        2. Whisky
        (dextrose: 4 Kg., DME: 2 pounds, single distillation)

        Foreshots + heads: 200 ml.;
        Middle: 1 lt. 70% ABV;
        Tails: 2 lit. one of 59% and the other of 47%

        3. Whisky
        (dextrose: 4 Kg.; DME: 1 pound, single distillation)

        Foreshots + Heads: 100 ml.;
        Middle: 2 lt. 65% ABV;
        Tails: 1 lt. 46% ABV.

        4. Whisky
        (dextrose 8 kg., DME 2 pounds, double distillation; two batches)

        Stripping: 6 lt. 64% ABV;
        Spirits:

        Foreshots:100 ml.;
        Head: 200 ml.;
        Middle: 2 lt. 82% ABV;
        Tails: 1.8 lt. 67% ABV.

        I haven´t notice bad smell or so bad flavor for these tails and I
        aged these last 1.8 lt. of tails during about 1 month, great was my
        surprise when I found that it better than the aged middle cut, so I´m
        now aging whisky tails in order to see if this is can be repeated.
        Let me know if you want some results for rum. Sorry for so a long
        post, but hope it helps.

        Alex
      • duds2u
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2008
          Just had a look through the record book for you. I have made quite a
          number of and found that my record keeping is a bit inconsistent.
          However, I was able to salvage enough to give you my numbers.

          For my 25 litre wash the initial SG is normally about 1.080 finishing
          around 1.000 give or take a couple of points. This is from 2 kg
          peated malt barley, 2 kg LME and 3 kg dextrose.

          Strip run. I take everything to 98°C giving me about 5.7 to 5.8 litre
          of low wines at 43 to 45%ABV.

          For the spirit run I add about 2.5 to 2.8 litre of feints and dilute
          to 27%ABV.

          I then drop the heads, between 10 to 20 ml (whatever it takes to get
          to a head temperature (Pot Still) of 79 to 80%.

          The I start collecting heart somewhere between 77 and 75% ABV,
          depending on the taste and nose. Then normally keep everything to
          about 62%ABV, once again relying on my senses for the final cut. This
          will give me between 3.1 and 3.5 litre of heart at about 70% ABV.

          After that I turn the heat up and run hard to 98°C before quitting.

          I average about 2.8 litre of feints at about 50%Abv.
          Note to myself. Be more dilligent in keeping records.
        • billfitz49
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
            Hi Alex,
            You mention in your post below that you have some results for single distillations of rum.
            I'd be interested in reading them. Also, are you making your cuts any differently when
            using the Danstil EDV493 yeast?
            Bill

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

            > Hi Riku
            >
            > After months making double distillations (first stripping run and
            > later spirits run) and after reading Smiley´s book where he states
            > that many distillers (including himself) think that whisky is better
            > with a single distillation (an good cuts) I experimented only making
            > single distillations for both rum and whisky. I must say that the
            > rum is a light one (i.e. sugar + molasses) and the whisky has been
            > prepared using DME and Dextrose with (and without) mashing of peated
            > malt. Happily I have found that my rig (PS II, Brewhaus) provides
            > and excellent product with this single distillations, but collecting
            > larger quantities of tails (these were identified initially by
            > taste). My last results have been as follows (for whiskey):
            >
            > 1. Whisky
            > (dextrose: 2.5 kg, peated malt: 1 pound, DME: 1 pound, double
            > distillation)
            >
            > Stripping: 3 lt. Low wines 60% ABV;
            >
            > Spirits: Foreshots: 100 ml.,Head: 100 ml.; Middle:1 lt. 81% ABV;
            > Tails: 1 lt. 60% ABV.
            >
            > 2. Whisky
            > (dextrose: 4 Kg., DME: 2 pounds, single distillation)
            >
            > Foreshots + heads: 200 ml.;
            > Middle: 1 lt. 70% ABV;
            > Tails: 2 lit. one of 59% and the other of 47%
            >
            > 3. Whisky
            > (dextrose: 4 Kg.; DME: 1 pound, single distillation)
            >
            > Foreshots + Heads: 100 ml.;
            > Middle: 2 lt. 65% ABV;
            > Tails: 1 lt. 46% ABV.
            >
            > 4. Whisky
            > (dextrose 8 kg., DME 2 pounds, double distillation; two batches)
            >
            > Stripping: 6 lt. 64% ABV;
            > Spirits:
            >
            > Foreshots:100 ml.;
            > Head: 200 ml.;
            > Middle: 2 lt. 82% ABV;
            > Tails: 1.8 lt. 67% ABV.
            >
            > I haven´t notice bad smell or so bad flavor for these tails and I
            > aged these last 1.8 lt. of tails during about 1 month, great was my
            > surprise when I found that it better than the aged middle cut, so I´m
            > now aging whisky tails in order to see if this is can be repeated.
            > Let me know if you want some results for rum. Sorry for so a long
            > post, but hope it helps.
            >
            > Alex

          • castillo.alex2008
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
              Hey Bill,

              Yes, in fact I´m now single distilling because I´ve found that my
              distillate comes very clean, so no need for double distilling (maybe
              it was that way all the time, but never tasted the booze; the PSII is
              very efficient). This yeast is very good, produces many flavorful
              esters, and a clean distillate, also is a killer strain and is suited
              for tropical weathers like ours at the caribbean. I´m now in its
              fifth generation with the same excellent results. Now my cuts are
              (selected by taste) :

              Foreshots and heads: 100 ml. (50 ml. each, of course I don´t taste
              them, lol);

              Middle cut: you may go up to 2 liters (65 % ABV) with little or no
              tails (in rum making sometimes is good to let some tail go through)
              nice white dog´s flavor;

              Tails: 1 liter 55% ABV.

              Planning to add some DME for a "rumsky" (blend of rum and whisky,
              popular around here)

              HTH

              Alex

              P.D. I haven´t noticed those nasty off smells in the tails, so I´m
              currently doing an experiment in which I took the last two liters for
              aging.