Re: Update: Trials & tribulations

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008

      Thanks Harry!

      The same to you and to all my good friends here.  May you all have Happy Holidays and a Safe and Wonderful New Year.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      "A Distiller's Night Before Christmas"

      'Twas after Christmas Eve Party and all through the house,
      the bottles were all emptied, strewn about by some louse;
      Our wet socks were well hung by the chimney to dry,
      and the stench in the air caused me almost to cry.

      Me good buddy sound asleep, passed out like a log,
      drempt about visions of mornings' "hair of the dawg";
      And I a sipping from a full glass which was near,
      while distilling lots more of that new Christmas Cheer;

      When out in the shed there rose such a clatter,
      I jumped from the bench and broke my hydrometer;
      Away to the shed, I crawled, stumbled, and ran,
      Broke open the door, and saw a funny old man;

      I threw on the switch and with lights all aglow,
      gave the luster of copper to the pot-still below;
      He had crawled through the window, knocked over me mash,
      And I knew in that moment, he'd been into my damn stash!;

      His eyes were so bloodshot, his clothes in a tatter,
      His nose was all red, mumblin' just like the Mad Hatter;
      The boots that he wore had some white fur for trim,
      And the way he staggered, he was tanked to the brim;

      He yelled, "Now Scotch! Now Bourbon!
      We ain't got all night!
      You too Gin and Vodka!
      Let's all do it up right!"

      With a look in his eye, seeming almost lively and quick,
      He slurred,"You want Real Good shine?  Well here, pake your tick.";
      He broke open his bag, filled with rums, whiskeys and white brew,
      And asked me to try a samplin'! -- "Take more then a few!";

      I tasted and tasted and said "Old Man, Thats really great stuff",
      He stuck middle finger up and said "Ya, yours is kinda rough.";
      He spoke not a word, but got deep in his bag and had fun,
      by givin' me another hydrometer, malt whisky and new PDA-1;

      Then back out the window he crawled with a great haste,
      and got into his Ford pickup, taking one last big taste.
      But I heard him exclaim, as he hit the post of my light:

      "HAPPY AHRISTMAS TO CALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-TIGHT."

      (almost a real poem...)
      J.B. 2008