Re: Vaccum pump from refrigerator condenser?

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 16, 2008
      I've come to believe that the low temperature evaporation is the main
      phenomena that makes commercial whiskeys what they are.

      Think about this. Feints (heads and tails) are continuously recycled -
      ie. added to the low wines and reditilled. Nothing is removed as
      heads are always cut based on ABV and losses in distillation are
      minimal. Over time this means that all the heads components coming
      from the low wines end up to the end product.

      Now we know that aged commercial whiskey is nothing like whiskey
      without heads cut as it would be before aging. So a considerable
      amount of heads components disappear during aging process. Some get
      converted by oak and oxygen to other compuonds, but not all. I've had
      a sample bottle of whiskey without headscut on oak for over a year
      now and let me tell you that there is still a lot of heads in it.

      So what happens is related to angels. Some 6% of the cask contents
      evaporates through the cask walls each year. Those of you who have
      run low temperature evaporation stills know that lowest boiling point
      compounds evaporate at higher rate. Three years worth of evaporation
      takes away some 17% of casks contents. In practise none of that is
      tails and a considerable amount is lower boiling point compounds.
      That amount is very close to our regular heads cut if you think of
      it. I believe this is the main reason why the commercial whiskey is
      quite similar to our self made stuff where we cut off roughly the
      same amount of heads and then age in oak.

      Cheers, Riku