Re: Rye Whiskey?

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008

      > I haven't actually tried rye but I heard it becomes a sticky goo
      quite
      > easily. The same problem exists when you do whiskey from wheat flour,
      > you can check my wheat flour recipe from
      > http://www.brygg.info/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1244
      >
      > That should give you an idea on how to proceed.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku

      I seem to recall us having a conversation in here about gluten
      formation in wheat mash. Extract from your brygg message...

      <quote>
      What had happened then? Those proteins that form the foam had
      eventually clumped together and the foam had cleared. However, those
      bloody proteins had formed somewhat large (2-3mm) sticky clumps that
      rolled around the mash in the boiler. In no time they started to stick
      to my heating elements and you know the results.
      </quote>

      "Those proteins" were Glutenin and Gliadin. These form the sticky,
      rubbery mass called Gluten. Many people worldwide are actually
      allergic to Gluten. See Celiac disease...
      http://gflinks.com/