RE: [Distillers] Re: Carbon filtering at what ABV>

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2008
      Concisely stated, Harry, and thank you kindly.

      You've made a merry Christmas for all the kiddies that will
      find their gins (with well-polished neutral) underneath the
      Christmas tree. No lump of coal for *these* happy children.

      (...and "polishing water" is a principle even I can remember)

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: gnikomson2000@...
      Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:04:03 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Carbon filtering at what ABV>

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@. ..> wrote:

      > A question for all of you who carbon filter your vodka: What
      > ABV do you filter? Final sippin' ABV, hot off the still ABV, or
      > something in between?
      >
      > I'm doing last minute Christmas presents, have a bunch
      > of new neutral (distilled 3 times from Masons's MUMM
      > wash) and I've only carbon filtered one batch of 50%
      > before.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      Final sippin'ABV is the go for this reason...
      Distilled Beverages
      Carbon filters can be used to filter organic impurities from vodka
      and whiskey. Since the activated carbon does not bind well to
      alcohols,
      the percentage of ethanol is not significantly affected,
      but the carbon will bind to and remove many organic impurities
      which can affect color, taste, and odor.
      Source:  http://www.graverte ch.com/PDF/ Product_Sheets/ LPF/TB-007Carbon FilterQA. pdf
      So what you do is polish the water, not the ethanol.

      Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your HotmailĀ® account now.