Boiling Point

  • anthony547357
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2008
      I have one of those standard 10 gallon beer barrels, and have placed
      the electric element as low as possible taking into account the
      curavature.

      This leaves the centre of the element 5.5" above ground level, or,
      more importantly 3.5" of liquid below.

      I wonder if someone might comment on this clearance and whether it
      might be reduced by putting in sand or chippings?

      Alternatively, there might be somthing to be said for giving a good
      deal more clearance from the bottom?

      A further point is whether to incorporate a small propeller in the
      barrel to keep things turning over. It would not be too difficult to
      build in an electric motor, though a paddle, turned over by hand every
      few minutes might break the boredom of a five hour vigil.

      Tony
    • Eddie Hoskin
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2008
        Try marbles :D.

        Eddie

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2008
          Hi Tony.

          I have a 15 gallon SS barrel with the same shape as a beer barrel
          The element is placed about 4" above the lowest point in the curve.
          It is important that the element is allways ca. 1" under the fluid
          level.
          Fill your barrel with portions of 1/10th gallon and see how much
          volume you need to reach this level.
          For me it's 2 gallon.
          This means that you alwways have to calculate how much tails are left
          in the barrel = low wine - distillate.
          In my early days I once forgot this and distilled a too small amount
          of low wine of relative high percentage and cooked my heating element
          dry.
          Result: a burned out element which I had to replace.
          Filling with sand don't seem to be a good solution to me.
          It's dead mass which you have to heat and it's difficult to clean.
          When the wine is a little accid it can react with the sand
          (calcium/silicium) and give unpredicted effects on your distillate.

          Proost, Ko.